The Last Sight

Bucky's PoV:

He should have known that this was how it would end. This was how it was supposed to be. How did he think he could escape it?

He could feel the metal holders close around his hands and he knew the inevitable was about to come.

"Don't!" said Bella and Bucky looked at her again. Impossibly, she was standing on her feet, her body broken in various places, blood dripping horridly from her shoulder.

The man just laughed at her before walking towards the machine when he stopped. Bucky looked around in shock. The man trying to reach the machine couldn't move his legs and his entire face turned red from the effort.

His body language made it known what was happening. His legs had become too heavy. Bucky looked at Bella and the sight awed him.

Bella was standing her ground, her hair and eyes green, her feet almost rooted. She was grunting from the effort because they were on the twelfth floor but she held it anyways.

"How the hell?" asked another Hydra soldier but he didn't have to wonder long. Bella's strength wasn't much, not with all of the blood loss. She soon collapsed.

"No!" screamed Bella, straining to regain her powers. Two Hydra men held her down, one of them twisting her good arm and she screamed, the audible crack making it obvious that it was broken again.

"Bella, stop," said Bucky. "There is nothing you can do now!" He could feel the tears stream down his face but watching Bella almost killing herself in order to save him was probably more painful than the wiping.

"No!" screamed Bella. "No, Bucky. I will save you! I am so sorry!" Bella sobbed and Bucky felt his heart breaking more at the sight.

Bucky just stared at her, vaguely aware that the man had switched on the machine and that the chair was now reclining backwards so that the metal holders could be placed at his head. He looked at Bella for the final time, knowing fully well he wouldn't remember her. Maybe they would save him but he would never remember everything they did, just like he never remembered Oana. He looked at her soft sweet brown eyes, the shape of her nose, the curve of her lips, hoping to save them somewhere in his brain.

An unimaginable searing pain tore through his body and even though he tried to resist it, he gave in anyways.

Bella's PoV:

Bucky's scream reverberated through her like ice water plunged into her veins and she screamed with him, feeling helpless and hateful about her present predicament.

A loud bang resounded through the floor and the men holding her down flinched back. Bella only saw a pair of silver metallic wings land in front her before the entire room was filled with smoke. The men holding her now collapsed and thuds were heard across the room.