XIV. Genevieve

Two days after Arthur arrived at the palace, I was putting the final touches on the decorations in the Great Hall with the Queen Mother. I straightened one final centerpiece, and I began walking around the room, double checking to make sure every table was set properly and had enough goblets and silverware. Queen Hyacinth was walking around the perimeter of the room, directing a group of servants who were hanging swaths of fabric to adorn the stone walls.

It was nothing short of magnificent, and I was overjoyed to have such beautiful wedding decorations, but I couldn't shake a sort of sadness. I was getting married tomorrow, and my mother wouldn't be there to help me get ready, nor would my father be the one to walk me down the aisle. It was true that I had grown to despise him as I grew older, but every little girl dreams of having her father walk her down the aisle.

I looked over at the Queen Mother, smiling as she gave instructions to the servants flitting around her and found myself tearing up. I walked over to a window along the far wall and sank into a chair in front of it. I squeezed my eyes together, willing myself not to cry. Tomorrow was my wedding day, for heaven's sake! Why was I suddenly so upset? I should be overflowing with joy! I made the mistake of wondering what Mother would think of Henry, and that was when the tears started falling and I started crying. I heard the Queen Mother dismiss the servants quietly, and walk over to me.

She sat down in a chair across from me, took my hand gently in hers, and gently asked, "What's wrong, dear? Surely, everything here is to your liking, yes?"

I sniffled. "Oh, yes! The decorations are magnificent!" I blinked to try and clear my eyes. "I just wish my mother could be here with me, that's all." Another tear slipped out of my eye and ran down my cheek, falling onto my sleeve.

"Ahh, I see." Queen Hyacinth's eyes were full of motherly sympathy. "I can see why that would be upsetting. Would you like to talk about it? I may not be your mother, but I'd like for you to consider me a friend and confidant since I'll be your mother-in-law in a few short hours." She scooted a bit closer and held my hands in her own tenderly.

"Thank you, Queen Hyacinth. I would be grateful to have your friendship," I answered. "I caught myself wondering what she would have thought of Henry a few moments ago, and I think she would have liked him."

"I was very good friends with your mother when we were both young girls, and I can assure you, she would have chosen no other man for you in all the known world. You remind me quite a bit of her, really."

"Really? How so?" I asked.

"Well, you have her eyes, and her stunning red hair. I was always envious of her hair growing up," She laughed softly. "She was also one of the most adventurous people I knew. She always had some scheme to try, or some place she wanted to visit. She and I would spend hours together, just riding through the woods, looking for little fairy rings, waterfalls, anything at all really."

"It sounds like you were quite close," I commented. "I remember her being very spontaneous when I was a very small girl myself, before she died, that is."

"Yes, she was something, your mother." Queen Hyacinth smiled. "She would be so proud of you, Genevieve. You saved the country she loved with every fiber in her being from certain doom, and I can say with almost full certainty that she would be full of pride that it was her daughter who was willing to sacrifice her life to save her people."

"Do you really think so?" I looked up into the Queen's eyes hopefully.

"I know so dear, and I know she would be the happiest woman in the world to know that our children were getting married. She would be so happy to see you all grown up into a beautiful young woman and in love with a good, handsome, strong young man who would do anything for you." Queen Hyacinth was now fighting back her own tears.