I

"if the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them

"if the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them."

Friday, November 1st.
Baltimore, Maryland

Saige Cartier | 15

"Bye Mrs. Whitfield. Thanks again for the ride home!" I told one of my dance teammates' mom while getting out of the car.

"Don't mention it baby. Say hello to your parents for me"

"Of course" I replied with a smile.

I grabbed my dance bag and water bottle before walking up to the front door of my two story house. I felt the chilly November breeze hit my face before I began to dig into my dance bag in search for my house keys.

"Ugh" I mumbled to myself when I felt the realization that I left my house keys on the dresser in my room.

I started to knock on the door but was caught off guard when the front door began to open on the first knock. I noticed that the door was already slightly open and the lock was messed up like someone had broken in.

I slowly began to walk into my house with a confused look on my face as I noticed the muddy footprints that followed into the hallway where me, my parents and my sister Siyah bedroom's were.

I knocked first before entering Siyah's room and began to panic when I couldn't find my sister.

"Siyah" I lowly called out.

After I called her name for a second time, I heard a thump noise coming from the closet. I took small footsteps before yanking the closet door open, revealing my younger sister curled up in a ball trembling with one arm up to cover her face.

"Please don't hurt me! Please." Siyah yelled with both eyes still shut in pure terror.

"Siyah it's me! Saige!" I replied.

Siyah's eyes shot open noticing a bit of relief filling her body once she saw me standing in front of her.

"Saige someone broke in! I think something happened to mama and daddy!" Siyah yelled falling into her sisters arms.

"What?! What happened?!" I replied with confusion.

"I was laying down watching tv, when I heard a glass break and then I heard them both screaming until two gunshots went off and then it stopped"