Chapter 28 - The ritual

Chapter 28

"You think one can have a soul even if they miss a heart?" Andrea mumbled, not taking her eyes off of the newly dug graves that would soon become the resting place for everyone whose heart Sybil had snatched away.

Rafail sighed tiredly. "I don't know."

"Hmm," She hummed before walking to Jonathan. She took his hands in hers and then guided them around her waist, wrapping herself up in his arms.

Rafail smiled slightly as he watched Jonathan pull her closer, inhaling her scent. Turning his head away, he felt like an intruder witnessing such an intimate moment.

"Are you okay?" Thalia's soft voice rang in his head. For just a second, he allowed his heart to swell up with the love he had for her without feeling guilty for doing so while standing in front of hundreds of graves. After all, death had a special way of humbling people, reminding them how lucky they were not to have met their end yet.

"Yes," He replied to his mate. "The ceremony will start soon."

"I'm on my way."

"Good," He sighed, turning his attention back to the sight in front of him.

"Should we perform all the rituals?" Frederic, the council member in charge of conducting all types of ceremonies, asked the king. Frederic had been the one to crown his royals and now he'd be the one to pay the last respects to hundreds of souls.

Rafail raised a brow at him in question.

"They didn't pledge loyalty to the crown. These rites are reserved for the subjects of the kingdom," He explained.

"Perform all of them," Rafail's eyes hardened as he looked down at Frederic.

"I didn't mean to be offensive, your majesty," Frederic winced under the subtle command on the king's voice.

"Your question was uncalled for," Rafail didn't break the eye contact even as he noticed the old council member getting more uncomfortable with each passing second. "They died at the hands of an enemy of the crown. They deserve all the rites."

"Understood, your majesty," Frederic bowed slightly before walking away.

A moment later, Thalia showed up by his side, frowning when she noticed the annoyance on his features. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Rafail sighed, pulling her towards him.

"It will start soon," Roi said, walking towards them with a grim expression on his face. It was unfair – how he couldn't bask in the celebration of a new life just a moment longer before they had to hold ceremonies of death. And yet, he was one of the lucky ones, he was well aware of that.

Rafail hummed in response.

"Is their alpha alive?" Darren suddenly appeared behind them, taking no notice of their hardening features. Roi bit back a growl, knowing he had to hold himself back from ripping Darren's heart out.

"Barely," Rafail replied after some seconds, intensively observing Darren's actions. He was surprised to see sadness in the werewolf's eyes, as if he was truly suffering from the deaths he had played a part in.

"I don't know what to wish for him. I can't hope that he dies but I can't imagine how difficult it'll be to live with the guilt of being the one to survive," Darren lowly said. "He was the only one alive, no?"

"Yes," Roi spoke, crossing his arms on top of his chest as he tried not to stare at Darren with disdain. "He was the only one with his heart not ripped out of his chest and even that wasn't out of mercy. It was solely so that he could witness everyone die and deliver Sybil's message to Rafail."