chapter 3 bargain and lies

Back at the office of the two Preators I was met with someone else. Hylla Twice-Kill stood there tall and proud. Even if she looked like a mummy with all of her bandages.

"Ok, why are you all looking at me like I killed someone's kitten?" I demanded after a few minutes of an uncomfortably cold silence.

"We have his name." Hazel informed. I immediatly turned serious. "I'm listening." The Queen of the Amazon was the on to speak up. "His name is Melian Custos, and it's because of me that he became a plight to my people."

"What, did you do?" I asked trying to remain neutral. Surprisingly she sighed and when she spoke I could trace actual regret. It was long before I became queen. I was foolish when I accepted the quest from Juno, but who can say no to the queen of Olympus. She tasked me with finding a potential threat to the god's rules and to terminate it. I didn't ask any questions and went on my way. It was a calm suburban town before I came along. He lived peacefully there, seemingly alone. I waited for him to go to school and set up charges of greek fire. When he came back I wasted no time pressing the trigger. The house blew up and I stepped closer. Actually feeling proud of my success, but I didn't see my target reduced to ashes. Instead the sight I fell was that of a little boy clutching the charred skeleton of his bed ridden mother, bawling his eyes out. Completly unbothered by the magical flames themselves.

He looked at me and I dropped the detonator before running away. I didn't even know who he was or what he was supposedly going to do. Yet I still ruined his life, I was recieved with high honor, but nothing about this felt honorable. I never forgot his face nor his name. It's no surprise that he wants my head now."

"Ok, you're a terrible person." I stated bluntly "but what does this have to do with me?"

The queen sent me à annoyed look. "You spoke to him yes?" I nodded still not seeing where this was going. "Do you know what he is planning?" I shook my head "no, he wasn't exactly precise about how he plans to kill you, but I assume that's it's painfully."

"You don't understand" grounded out the queen. "If he had gone to me and me only I would have let it slide, but dozens of my Amazons have yet to come out of the coma he put them in. I'm not sure how, but this stinks of magic. If we don't find out exactly what he did, dozens of people are going to die!"

"What do you need from me." I asked with a sigh. "He seems to have a small liking to you. I need you to find him again and give him an offer."

"Assuming that he doesn't try to burn my face off first, what kind of offer are we talking, pizza?"

"Him and me wherever whenever he wantse, we finish this once and for all."

"Hylla that's insane!" Protested Hazel "you've barely started healing we can find another way-"

"We don't know time for another way!" Snapped the Queen, "my sister was slowly dying as we speak. So even if I had to wrestle Bellona herself with both of my hands tied behind my back, I would!" She turned to me "so what will it be son of Hera?!" I sent a reproachful look at the couple before noticing that they looked just as surprised as I felt. I turned to the Amazon confused. "I spent years on an island with a powerful witch. The godly parentage of someone is easier to guess than people might think. Especially if you've met said goddess. So prince of the heavens, what will it be?" She said sounding a bit more calm.

"Well the only reason I found him was because he showed himself first. I have no idea how to find him." I shrugged powerlessly "so if you do you'll help me?"

"Only if he can't be reasoned with" I bargained "this is on you and only you, if I convicne him to free the others of whatever malefice has befallen them. Then you'll be on you're own."