Time in a Bottle

7 months on Midgard

"Feliz cumpleaños a ti. Feliz cumpleaños a ti. Feliz cumpleaños, Gabriella. Feliz cumpleaños a ti." They all sang as Freya placed the cake down in front of her.

Gabriella closed her eyes and thought for a moment. Making wishes, maybe she wanted Matteo to finally ask her out on a date or maybe she wished for something grander? Whatever she was wishing for, Freya hoped she'd get it. They didn't have birthdays on Asgard. She'd never gotten to make wishes like that. Gabriella opened her eyes and she leaned forward and blew out the candles.

<<<>>>

Freya sat out on Gabriella's porch rocking chair. The party slowly died down and guests left as the moon rose to its highest point.

"Do you want some cake?" Gabbie came outside. She leaned against the wood railing and lifted a plate up.

Freya reached over and grabbed it, "Thank you." She took the fork and sliced it into the white cake. "What'd you wish for?"

"The same thing I wish for every year." Gabriella crossed her arms and wrapped her sweater around her. She looked up at the stars. "A family." She said and met Freya's gaze, "My father was an outsider and my mother died when I was twelve. I guess that may be why Druig hangs around me. I have this big house and no one to share it with."

"I'm sorry," Freya said.

"It's okay." Gabbie smiled but it didn't meet her eyes. "It's been better while you've been here."

Freya stood up and placed a hand on Gabbie's shoulder, "I'm glad I've had you too." She said. She glanced in the window and Matteo stood in the kitchen, alone, the last party member there. "He's crazy about you." She said and Gabriella sneaked a glance and she couldn't help but smile.

8 months on Midgard

The nights were getting colder and for the first time since Freya arrived on Earth Gabriella's fireplace was used. "Mañana conseguiré más madera." Matteo slipped a scarf around his neck and glanced at his watch.

"Gracias, Matteo," Freya said from the couch. "Don't be nervous, she's excited." She winked at him and he gave her a thin smile.

"I think I have everything." Gabriella stepped out of her bedroom with a small bag. "Cambio de ropa, calcetines, chaqueta y... y..." She brushed a hand through her hair.  {Change of clothes, socks, jacket and ... and ...}

"Toothbrush?" Freya asked.

She gasped, "Cepillo de dientes... Oh, Dios mío." She ran back into her bedroom. Freya flipped the page in her book. "Okay, okay. I'm ready." Gabriella said. "If you need me -" {"Toothbrush ... Oh my gosh."}

"I'll be alright." Freya glanced up at her friend. "Go. Have fun and be safe." She said as Gabriella made her way over to Matteo. He hugged her and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Adios, Freya." Matteo waved at Freya before opening the door. He grabbed Gabriella's bag. Gabriella looked at Freya with wide eyes. Freya gave her a small thumbs up. Gabriella stepped out of the house and the door shut.

<<<>>>

Hands were the only thing that held her body up. The ground cracked beneath her feet and she stumbled through a dark world, she knew it was once beautiful but, now there was only death. "We must get to the cave." There was a woman in front of her walking with purpose despite the tremors.