13

I walk past JJ and make my way back to the car, J following suite. Picking me up by my hips and tossing me into the back of the truck before tickling me.

"You guys should shut up." Pope mutters. "It's like you want me to hit you or something Heyward." "You wouldn't." "I would." We begin one of our heated "You wouldn't" "I would" arguments before John B gives Pope a swift slap to the head. "There. I did it. Now shush."

I giggle and unfold the sleeping bag that we keep in the back of Kie's truck. Unzipping it, I throw it over myself, turning into a make shift blanket.

I begin to close my eyes when JJ lifts up the side of the sleeping bag, letting a cold breeze flow over my body as I shiver from the lack of warmth.

JJ pulls me into him and tightens his arm around my waist, immediately heating my body up as he kisses me on the head. "Night Jack." "Night J." I dig my face into his neck, taking in the smell of weed, old cologne and salt water.

I shake myself awake in the middle of the night. I don't remember my dream, but it must've been bad. I pull myself away from JJ for a moment to peek out the window and watch the moon. It's a clear night, probably around 3 am.

I sigh and return to JJ's touch, he mumbles incoherently in his sleep and pulls me in on reflex. I put my hand on his stomach, tracing his abs lightly with my finger and placing a soft kiss on his chest every once and a while as I drift off into a peaceful rest.

The sun wakes me up, but so does John B. He reaches over to the back of the truck and shakes me awake violently. "Okay fuck off." I mumble, rubbing my eyes and pulling John B's hoodie off due to the sudden heat of the summer morning.

I'm left in a sports bra and my denim shorts and JJ's eyes rake my body slowly as I squeeze myself in between the two boys lying down on the lowered seat, ending up half on top of JJ.

"I like this." he whispers in my ear. I roll my eyes and give him a quick kiss while he snakes his arm around me, one behind his head as the radio plays the news. JJ inhales the smoke from his joint and blows it in the air softly while I take my hand and trace his jawline before he grabs it, leaving a kiss on my palm.

"Still no news on the shooting of sheriff Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest." My head shoots up, turning my attention away from J as Kie switches off the radio abruptly.

"Let's game this out." JJ says, breaking the silence. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."

"Thanks." John B mutters, staring at the ceiling.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, all right? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" "Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah will bail me out." JB snaps, looking over at J.

"She did witness the whole thing." "And she's gonna snitch on her brother?"

"Not happening, bro. Okay? We've gotta get you off the island." JJ points out sitting up and taking me with him. "The ferry. It's the only way." "Exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown." A cop car drives by and my breath hitches.

"Guys, just get down." J pulls me back down with him while I sigh and rest my head on his shoulder.

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." "Yeah. You can't stay here, man."