11

JJ

Kiara is on the phone with medics. "JJ is she breathing?" She yells. I press two fingers on her limp wrist. "Just barely!" I sob. I cup Jackie's cheek with my hand, tears streaming from my eyes while I whisper to her just in case she can hear me. "Hey Jack. It's JJ. Can- Can you hear me love?" No answer.

Pope puts a supportive hand on my shoulder. But I don't understand. What's that gonna do? It's not going to wake Jackie up. And that's all that matters.

I lift up her shirt. Jackie's stomach is littered in red and purple. I should've done something. I knew that she wasn't okay. The blood, throwing up, the fuzziness. It's all my fault.

What if she doesn't wake up. What if she dies. More tears fall at the thought of life without her. I should've told her sooner. That I love her.

The ambulance arrives and I hold her hand the entire way, rubbing her thumb with mine. The EMT jolts me from my thoughts by cutting her shirt off. I almost stop them. She loved that shirt.

"Severe internal bleeding. She's gonna need surgery." My heart drops. They hook her up to machines, the stable beep of her heartbeat filling my ears.

Suddenly, the beeps slow down and before I know it the line goes flat. No.

It was just a mistake. It had to be. The machine is probably fucked up. This couldn't be happening.

"Son we're gonna need you to move." A lady tells me, pushing me slightly to the corner of the van. I can't even argue. It's like my thoughts have stopped.

The medics begin to perform CPR. Jackie's body shakes back and forth while they try to revive her heart. I don't think I've ever prayed before. But I just did. I prayed to every God there is. I prayed for Jackie, and for John B and her brother even if he's a fucking asshole.

"We're gonna need the AED!" Someone yells. I watch them get out the two shock pads and place them on Jackie's chest, her body purple and bruised. "Clear!" "Everyone stay clear of her!" They stop the CPR and Jack's body jolts from the sudden shock. The medic begins CPR once again while strangled sobs leave my mouth.

It's been two minutes.

I grab my hair and rip some out, all I want to do is go and see her face one last time. Apparently the first thing you forget about someone is their voice.

I'll never forget my girl's voice. Or her smile, or the way she looked when she cried, or woke up, or fell asleep. The way her hands felt running through my hair. The first time she kissed me. And the last.

My world is gone.

Multiple coughs wake me from my thoughts. Jackie.

"Honey, we're gonna need you to stay put." "JJ? Where's JJ?" Jack tries to say, attempting to sit up but being lightly pushed down back onto the stretcher. I run over and grab her hand. "Hi Jackie. Hey princess. I'm here." I brush over her cheekbone with  my thumb, whispering sweet nothings as the paramedics give her air with a valve mask and take her blood pressure. "Deep breaths Jack. You're okay."

I rub my thumb over the back of her hand, following the pattern of my breathing, her eyes flutter closed. "Sweetheart I'm gonna need you to keep your eyes open." The medic says from beside me. "Here, here look at me Jack." Tears leave her eyes and my heart stings.

I'm gonna fucking kill her brother. And Rafe. I'm going to kill them for doing this. "JJ." She whispers. My attention turns back to the girl in front of me. "Hi love. I'm here. We're okay now."

We arrive at the hospital and I follow Jackie as far as I can. We're stopped in front of an operation room. "I'm going to need you to stay in the waiting room." "But-" "I'm sorry. I promise you'll be able to see her as soon as possible."