Chapter 4: Dragon's Breath

Something was going on. Mei knew that at least...why would Red Son, of ALL people help her and her friends? Willingly this time? There was no greater threat. Was he considering being a hero?

After a giant dumpling had nearly destroyed everything, MK and Tang had taken it out with Guanyin's phase. But Mei wasn't too concerned about that right now.

She raced around the city on her bike, looking at a green holographic screen on her bike. She knew placing a tracking device on Red Son that one time would be helpful!

Eventually, her tracker beeped at...the Great Wall?

She tilted her head before shrugging and racing over there. She arrived a few minutes later, drifting across the pathway before arriving at the entrance to the Great Wall itself. She stepped on, and sure enough? Red Son was there...with the tracking device in hand.

Red Son didn't look very amused. "...if you really wanted to find me, asking for my phone number is a more reasonable way."

"And how am I gonna do that if I don't know where you are?" Mei asked, walking over to him with a smirk as she took off her helmet.

Red Son scoffed. "Obviously, you wait until I show up again."

Mei just giggled before sitting on one of the edges of the Great Wall, facing the former Boy Sage King. "So, whatcha doin' here, Red Boy?"

"Red SON." He corrected before sighing. "I honestly don't know...but I'm sure you'll be happy to know me and my family won't be trying to destroy you for...a long time."

Mei was a bit surprised by this and tilted her head. "You? You and your family aren't going to try and destroy us anymore?"

"I said for a long time!" Red Son exclaimed. "We...we don't know if we even want to continue trying to conquer the city and the world. We always fail anyway...and the last time we nearly succeeded?"

"Your dad got a case of the blues, heh." Mei said before her face softened. "Sorry. That might be a fresh wound."

Red Son turned and chuckled, NOW seeming amused. "You? Apologizing to me? Who are you and what have you done with Dragon Girl?"

"I have a name." Mei laughed.

Red Son chuckled before redirecting his attention to the sights they could see on The Great Wall. "I know."

Mei then scooted a little closer. "So...why'd you wanna save me? From the Sleep Bug thing? You could've done anyone first...but you did me. Not to mention, you did all that to wake me up."

Red Son blushed slightly, mostly in embarrassment. "I...I guess...I don't want to be evil anymore." He suddenly said. "I'm met with FAILURE. Every single time...but when I was with your team? I felt..."

"Good?"

"Y-Yes." Red Son said. "I...I've never helped anyone before, so I don't know why it felt so fulfilling."

Mei smiled. "That's what being a hero is all about, Red Son." She said, finally addressing him by his name. "Helping people because it's the right thing to do. Not out of fame, power, or just to get bragging rights. It's doing what's right because it IS right." She smiled more. "Did you feel a bit better about yourself when you actually WON a battle? You didn't get hurt, but when you did, it was for a good reason?"

Red Son was silent...before he couldn't hold back a smile. "It...it was nice to win a fight for once...does...that make me a hero?"

"Well! That's your choice." Mei said, hopping next to him. "But in my eyes? If you keep going down this path and actually choose too? That makes you a hero."

Red Son was silent again before sighing. "I suppose I am one then..."

"You got a lot of work to do then!" Mei laughed. "I can be your teacher!"

"Ummm, ok?" Red Son said, turning to her and raising an eyebrow. "I have a feeling your friends won't be so accepting."

Mei hummed. "Well! I'll teach you everything I know about being a hero and THEN I can show them the new you!" She giggled. "Mei and Red Son! Birds of a feather!"

"I believe you mean dragons of a scale." Red Son quipped.

Mei snorted before laughing a rather adorable laugh. "See? You're already cracking jokes!"

"How dare you! I can be hilarious." Red Son said, placing a hand on his chest.

Mei patted his back. "Soon enough!"

Red Son then turned to her...and smiled. An actual, genuine smile. "You're too nice for your own good."

"I can be mean!" Mei said, showing...fangs?

Red Son had fangs as well, but he was confused as to why the Dragon Girl- I mean, Mei had them. He then pointed at them. "You? You have fangs?"

"I'm a dragon after all." Mei said with a smirk. "My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-" She then blinked. "Add like a thousand greats after that. Anyway, I'm related to the Dragon King of The West."

"Ao Run?!" Red Son exclaimed, seeming shocked before he rapidly shook his head. "Then that means you're a-"

"Dragon Princess?" Mei asked. "Pretty much. But only technically." She laughed. "My mom and dad told me that, and I dressed up like one as a little girl."

Red Son looked up and down at Mei. How could this loud, gaming, sword fighting, and possibly feral girl...be royalty? Then again, he was loud, growling, fire throwing, and possibly feral. Yet, he was a prince.

"I...see." He said before looking at her. "I suppose we have more in common than we thought."

Mei smiled. "Looks like we do...oh! And I never thanked you!"

"Thanked me?"

"For saving my life more than once." Mei said before redirecting her attention to the sightseeing as well. "This place is really beautiful when you look at it from this angle."

Red Son turned to the sights as well and smiled. "I...suppose you're not wrong."