Chapter 3

It took four days to get to the palace-city — a fairly swift journey, taking into account how many people were in the party. When they arrived, Thranduil was surprised to see Callon, in her babysitter's arms, waiting outside for them, and disappointed not to see Legolas. Even if he wasn't on duty, as the Crown Prince, he should have been there to greet his King on his return. Callon's tiny face lit in delight at the sight of her mother.

"Nana!" She called, struggling to free herself. Tauriel dismounted and ran to her daughter, reaching her before Callon threw herself to the ground.

"Hello, my little princess," she kissed the child, and Dís glanced around to see what the reactions of the others were. Most of the elves were indifferent, but a few were smiling. Thranduil was looking indulgent, and the dwarves hadn't really noticed yet. Tauriel carried her daughter back towards her horse.

"Guess what?"

"What?"

"I found Grandmother!" Callon looked confused.

"I told you I was going to find Ada's nana, remember?"

Her little face cleared and she nodded. "Where?"

Thranduil dismounted and urged everyone inside, as Tauriel handed the child to Dís. Dís thought her heart would break all over again. Callon was practically the splitting image of her father when he was nearly two. She had the same unruly black hair, and her father's lively brown eyes.

"Oh, Tauriel! She's beautiful!" Dís sighed.

For once, Kili's delicate features had worked to his advantage, giving the child a button nose and bow shaped lips. Callon had sadly inherited both parents' big ears, but Dís could already tell they had a more elven taper. She was going to be a sought-after beauty when she was grown, dwarf blood or no. Callon studied Dís for a few moments, gently touching her sideburns and rubbing Dís' short beard, then she looked at her mother.

"Gram?" she asked, and Tauriel nodded. She offered Dís a hesitant smile. "Callon," she said, pointing at herself. "I'm this many." She held up two pudgy fingers, and Dís didn't have the heart to correct her.

"I know, Dear Heart. And I'm very happy to meet you."

She hugged the child and reluctantly handed her back to her mother. "Tauriel, let's go in. I want to spend a little more time with her in private."

Tauriel agreed and showed Dís the way to her rooms. When she opened the door, Dís was pleased to see that the suite was a good size. Off of the main room, there were two bedrooms, a small sitting room with a door, and a bathroom.

"I can have this room," Tauriel pointed at the sitting room. "Made over for you, if you would still like to stay here with us."

Dís smiled. "I told you I would, but thank you."

Tauriel put her daughter down, and Callon crawled away at speed. "Should she be talking so much yet?" Dís asked.

Tauriel nodded. "She's late, actually. Most elves start talking at six months."

Callon returned in a moment with a toy that she held out to Dís. Dís immediately sat down on the floor and began talking to her about the toy. Tauriel watched them for a few minutes, then went to check on the status of Dís' belongings. Callon didn't even notice her mother leave. In the hallway, she was met by a disgruntled looking Legolas.

"My father," he began, without preamble. "Left home over a week ago — in an unheard-of move, to escort a disaffected dwarf princess across our borders. Only, he's returned with the dwarf, and at least a dozen more besides! What in the name of the Holy Valar is going on?"