Chapter 45

"He's going to ask about it

"He's going to ask about it."

"Shut up."

"What? You think he's not?" Castor sarcastically tilted her head at her twin. The purple bruising around his nose wasn't as dark as it had been. Madame Pomfrey had healed his nose, but she couldn't do much for the bruising and swelling. Even a week later, his face was still a bit sore. Though it didn't look nearly as bad as Anton's face did. Castor had caught sight of him as he was hauled off to the Durmstrang ships after the fight. His nose was bleeding, and he had spit blood from his mouth into the dirt of the courtyard. His left eye was also starting to swell, and Castor could tell that he would have a pretty bad headache for a few days.

"How's Eliza?" Pollux tried to change the subject.

"Still mad at you." Castor sighed, softening her tone to be less snarky.

"She's afraid of me." He grumbled.

"She's not afraid of you. She's just spooked about what happened." She reached out to shove at his shoulder. "She's used to having to stand up for herself. I don't think she was prepared for what someone else defending her honor looks like." The joke did not make him laugh, only give her a deadpan look. "If you really don't believe me, apologize to her and see for yourself."

Pollux sighed deeply. "Fine." The village grew closer in the distance. "Come on. Everyone else is probably already there." He pulled on her arm to lead her off the path and into the forest. The frostbitten trees and the Shrieking Shack were a familiar sight. This time Pollux led the way up the mountain, avoiding loose rocks and slippery patches of leaves covered with the dew of the coming Spring. "Do you want me to carry anything?" He glanced down at her. Castor's bag hung from her left shoulder, while her right hip contained a string of ferrets.

"Sure. If you want." She unclipped the ferrets from her belt, holding it out to him. When he didn't move to take it from her, she looked up to see him staring back at her with another deadpan look.

"Really?"

"What?" She shrugged. When he pointedly nodded to the string of ferrets, she relented, clipping the dead animals to her belt again and handing him her bag. "Honestly..."

"I'm sorry. I don't understand how you can just carry those around so nonchalantly the way you do." He laughed at her. Finally they were at the mouth of the cave, and Pollux led the way in towards the back and through the large boulders.

"Lucy! I'm home!" Castor jokingly called. Ron and Hermione jumped a bit as they turned to see the twins. Harry and Remus waved in greeting. Castor moved around Pollux, bowing to the hippogriff and tossing him a ferret.

A loud bark echoed through the cave suddenly, and the Golden Trio laughed when the familiar sight of Padfoot came bounding around them, wagging his tail and running in circles. Padfoot barked again at the sight of them, running up to greet Pollux, and sniffing every inch of Castor's bag, of which still hung off his shoulder. The shaggy dog yipped at him, looking up at him with his tongue slightly hanging out of his mouth.