Chapter 30

Classes the next day were cut short again, and while some professors tried to keep their students on task (Snape, McGonagall, and Flitwick), there were others who gave up halfway through their lesson, realizing that trying to keep their classes fo...

Classes the next day were cut short again, and while some professors tried to keep their students on task (Snape, McGonagall, and Flitwick), there were others who gave up halfway through their lesson, realizing that trying to keep their classes focused was a lost cause (Hagrid, Trelawney, and Sprout). Professor Snape seemed to roll his eyes twice as much, he refrained from deducting too many house points, though he did not let up on his usual amount of homework he assigned them.

The Great Hall was packed, with students squeezed into every available seat they could find. The boys and girls of Beauxbatons still sat with the Ravenclaws, but the boys of Durmstrang chose to sit in their own section of the room. Harry, Ron, and the Weasley twins sat together. While most of the students mostly chose to remain seated at their own house tables, Castor did manage to sneak over to sit beside her brother at the Slytherin table, ignoring the glares she got from other members of the house as she did so. Their platinum haired cousin was a few seats down from them, along with Blaise Zabini, Pansy Parkinson, and Crabbe and Goyle.

"Sit down. Please." Professor Dumbledore ordered. He waited until most of them were seated before he raised his voice. "Now the moment you've all been waiting for. The champion selection!" He waved his hands around the room dimming the lights until the only glow was from the bright blue flames from the Goblet of Fire. Dumbledore moved slowly to place his hands on the rim of the large stone cup before stepping back. The elder wizard waited, the room held in suspense as the flames changed from blue to red, before spitting out a small piece of parchment. Dumbledore caught the singed paper, the parchment still smoking in his hands. "The Durmstrang champion is...Viktor Krum!"

The Durmstrang students cheered, and Viktor pumped his fist as he stood and moved to the door at the back of the Great Hall, where he would wait for further instructions as well as his fellow champions. The room was cast into a reddish glow again as the Goblet prepared to spit out another name, the parchment singing and glowing in Dumbledore's hands again.

"The champion for Beauxbatons...is Fleur Delacour!" There was a loud cheer from Ravenclaw table, and Fleur grinned as she stood. With a swish of her perfect blonde ponytail, the part-Veela glided through the Great Hall and out of sight.

The Goblet changed to red again, and every student sat on the edge of their seats as they waited to hear who the Hogwarts champion would be. Castor leaned into her twin's shoulder, and he gripped his wrist in suspense. The parchment was singed yet again, and Dumbledore held it proudly as he announced...

"The Hogwarts champion is...Cedric Diggory!" Castor and Pollux deflated slightly, though they still clapped and cheered for their Hufflepuff champion. The yellow and black table was easily the loudest in the entire hall, and Cedric grinned widely as he shook Dumbledore's hand and moved out of the room.

"Damn." Pollux shrugged at his twin, who smiled at him in agreement. While they were disappointed at not being chosen, it was still cool to see Hufflepuff get their moment in the spotlight.