Chapter 35

The next day, breakfast was a loud affair

The next day, breakfast was a loud affair. Students from every house, as well as the visiting schools were all talking about the First Task, some students talking about which champion to place their bets on. Pollux would have to have a talk with the Weasley twins about that later. The older Slytherin boy found himself squeezed across from his cousin. Malfoy's white-blond hair made it hard for Pollux to ignore him, especially when his haughty attitude was in full swing this morning. And what made it worse was that Pansy Parkinson seemed to have an extra sour look on her face as she glared at Harry as he entered the Great Hall.

Everyone's thoughts constantly chattering on were starting to give Pollux a headache. However his cousin's mind seemed to be particularly quiet today, and he noticed how Malfoy toned down the attitude when his twin sister entered behind Harry, not a lot, but just enough to Pollux to notice, and he watched as his cousin's slate grey eyes followed his twin as she sat down at the Ravenclaw table next to Eliza before they returned to his breakfast.

Interesting.

Soon, when breakfast was close to being finished, the squawking of various owls from above caught his attention. Hedwig landed in front of Harry, rubbing into his arm affectionately, and dropping a wrinkled letter bearing familiar messy handwriting. What Pollux was not expecting was for a dark, grey owl to land in front of him, with bright golden eyes that stared back at Pollux. Another wrinkled letter held in his beak, bearing the same messy handwriting that was on the one Harry was currently reading.

"Ugh! Can you please move your ugly bird? He's ruining my breakfast." Pollux tore open the letter, ignoring Pansy's attitude. The owl, as if it understood Pansy's distaste for it, squawked lowly and ruffled his feathers at her. Pollux held out one of his breakfast sausages from his plate, reading as the owl munched happily on his snack.

Remus says the next Hogsmeade trip is the weekend after the First Task. Follow after Harry. He'll know where to go.

-Padfoot

P.S. The bird bites.

Pollux laughed as he heard Pansy's shriek of pain just as he finished reading the last line. He sent the bird off with another sausage from his leftover breakfast.

~

Who was your letter from this morning? Castor's voice echoed in his head as she sat beside him, not taking her eyes off the front of the classroom. Professor Moody was still writing on the board.

Padfoot.

Oh. I thought it might have been Uncle Nathan.

Still haven't heard from him?

No.

I'm sure it's nothing. He's probably just busy at the Ministry.

I would've thought he would have at least written since the Champion Selection.