Chapter 12

A practical lesson was exactly what the students needed, seeing as most of them were having trouble paying attention in class

A practical lesson was exactly what the students needed, seeing as most of them were having trouble paying attention in class. The recent sighting of Sirius Black so close to the castle had sent the students into a bit of a frenzy, whispering his name in the hallways and sharing copies of the Daily Prophet. It was during these times that Pollux tried to hide behind whatever book he was reading to attempt to bury his nose further into his assignments. He was grateful for the break his TA class gave him, teaching the 3rd years was something he didn't think he'd enjoy so much, but it probably helped that he often found himself laughing occasionally with Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

It was also a time when he was able to lower the walls in his mind, allowing his legillimency to whisper the inner thoughts of those in the room. It was exhausting having to block out everyone from his mind lately, but with the recent bouts of restless nights he'd been having again, he found it more draining than helpful. The headaches and fatigue he felt by blocking everyone out simply wasn't worth it sometimes.

He almost laughed out loud when he heard a multitude of confused thoughts as he and Professor Lupin led the 3rd years out of the class and down the hall to the room where he and Castor found the boggart. Peeves' singing following them with a tune of "Loony loopy Lupin! Loony loopy Lupin!"

The wardrobe rattled upon the classroom door closing, as if the boggart inside was excited by so many presences it felt from inside the wardrobe. Pollux moved more of the desks out of the way, sliding them across the room and against the wall.

"Wands out!" Professor Lupin called as he closed the classroom door. "Today's lesson is going to be a bit different." Students dropped their bags along the back wall, and Pollux moved to shed his robes, standing in just his Slytherin cardigan, dark wash jeans, and Converse. He was looking forward to the weekend, the first Slytherin quidditch practice of the season, and the comfort of his leather jacket.

The wardrobe rattled violently again.

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Professor Lupin's voice spoke from behind the group of students as he made his way around to the front. "Would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?"

"That's a boggart, sir." Dean Thomas answered.

"Very good, Mr. Thomas." He praised. "Now can anyone tell me what a boggart looks like?"

"No one knows." Hermione spoke up. Pollux laughed as Harry and Ron jumped.

"When did she get here?" Ron turned to Harry.

"Boggarts are shape-shifters." Hermione continued. "They take the shape of whatever the person fears the most. That's what makes them so-"

"So terrifying. Yes." Professor Lupin confirmed. The wardrobe rattled again, and Pollux smacked the front side of it causing it to still. A few laughs echoed in the room, and Professor Lupin gave him a knowing look, raising a brow at him as he turned back to the class. "Luckily, a very simple charm exists to repel a boggart. Uh, without wands, if you please. Repeat after me. Riddikulus."