35: Dark Descension

Start from the beginning

"Aren't you going to rest?" he asked her, while walking.

Elle flashed a grin, "You said so yourself, the longer we wait here, the more power Hermes will have over us. We can't let him win."

She stopped at the edge remembering her first trip down here after reuniting with Felix in the Underworld. Last time, she was venturing into Tartarus to save Peter. This time was no different. She tied the backpack to her securely and Pan held the lantern out towards her, "Don't forget to take this."

Elle responded by shoving Pan into Tartarus. The god's golden eyes flared in anger as he cursed her name the entire way down. Elle had a smug grin before following after. She landed on the ground and Pan had pinned her agains the wall, "Is this some kind of sick joke to you?"

Elle stared back cockily, "I didn't want you to miss out on all the fun. Since there is no way for you to get out without my help, you might as well help me get the last thing we need for Hope's Quickblade. Do you have the lantern?"

"No, I used it to break my landing," Pan casually replies.

Elle froze and narrowed her gaze on him, "We need that lantern and you broke it?!"

Pan bursted out laughing, "You should have seen your face. No, I have it right here."

He revealed the lantern and smirked, "I just had to get back at you for shoving me into tartarus without my permission."

"Oh I'm sorry, next time I'll send you an invitation," Elle sassed him.

They were greeted with the desert landscape. The blistering heat and razor winds followed by the sea of souls each trapped in a hell of their own. They felt Elle's powers and cowered under her presence. Some were filled with bitter hatred while others were full of fear.

"Where's the quickest way down?" Elle asked Pan.

"Through the Prison of the Titans," Pan said in a deathly quiet, "That in itself is a complex maze of traps and only the Olympians know the way."

He turned his head off into the distance and Elle followed his gaze towards the edge of the horizon where a fortress stood. The pair began their trek and passed the infamous residents of this plane. Their grunts of pain pierced Elle's soul and she reminded herself the crimes they committed to end up down here.

At last they stood at the gates and Elle frowned, "It's locked."

Pan stayed silent and grabbed her hand.

"Now's not the time to hold hands," Elle told Pan.

Pan rolled his eyes and Elle gritted her teeth as he sliced the palm of her hand. Her blood came to the surface as he guided her hand to a bowl on the pedestal. Dried blood coated the bowl and Pan spoke in a quiet tone, "Only the blood of the Underworld will open the seal created by the Twelve Olympians and allow us through. Behind these doors the wicked reside. Despite any misgivings we may have towards each other, we have to remain a unified force if we hope to escape unscathed and keep the evil trapped here. If it gets out, it goes beyond our little situation."

Elle sensed the seriousness in his tone and realized in the span of a few seconds, the light hearted, slightly annoying god had been replaced by a deadly immortal. His gold eyes flickered with powers and his influence could be felt throughout the Underworld. Despite being not a full immortal, he was just as powerful as any Olympian. Maybe that tied him and Elle together.

The pair entered and the door closed behind them with an echoing boom. It was pitch black as Pan lit up the Lantern of Diogenes.

"Its light will continue to burn," Pan informed her, "It will ward the insanity within this prison from affecting our psyche."