41 - Part I : Want

Start from the beginning

I scowled. "I hope your joking."

He grinned and pulled me into the house. "Of course."

Even though I'd been gaining new memories from my past lives I've also been remembering some things about my present life. Jamie was the main one. I was so happy when he came to mind that I called him up just to tell him so.  

He started laughing and thanked god.

"Go straight up. I think Megan's asleep but just jump on her."

I smiled and ran upstairs quietly of course. I walked into her room and sat next to her on her bed. I pulled my hood down and stared down at her. Aw, she looked so peaceful...

"Wake up!"

She screamed and rolled over to stare at me with wide brown eyes.

"Cheese and rice!! Alexis, you gave me a damn heart attack. I always forget you have black hair. You look like the angel of death dressed in white."

I coughed to cover my laugh. Angel of Death, HA!

"Is that the "hi" I get after three weeks?"

She smiled and sat up to give me a squeeze. "I've missed you Alex. There have been rumours going around about why you dropped out of school. What's going on? I mean, I know you came back for the exam but still."

I frowned. "I have my reasons, Meg."

"Can't you tell me?" She pouted.

I shook my head. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you anyway."

"Try me."

I laughed.  

If I told her, I'd probably get a beating.  

But I didn't want to get my friends involved. That's suicide.

"Sorry Megan, I want you safe. I don't want to get you involved in this."

Her eyes narrowed. "Has this got to do with what happened at school a month ago?"

I hesitated and she immediately picked up on it. "You were there before it all happened. So were Jay and Mr. Williams. But there was something odd about Jay the day after. It was like he was brainwashed."

I cleared my throat and stood up. "Yeah, I wonder what was wrong with them."

"Nothing was wrong with you though."

Wow, she's very observant.

"You seemed fine. Tell me; were you there when it happened?"

I tried to act innocent. "When what happened?"

"The gym! The halls! Were you there? The news said it was vandalism. But something's telling me that it wasn't. What else could have made that body shaped dent on the lockers and the dent in the floor?"

"I'm sorry Meg, but I don't know what could have done that... Maybe a baseball bat? A jackhammer?

Megan started ranting but I wasn't paying any attention. An electric feeling passed through me. I turned toward the window. Gabriel was calling me. I knew it was him because he'd been teaching me how to recognize whose calling.  

But the way he was calling seemed desperate. As if he needed me at this moment.

I turned to Meg who looked like she was fuming.  

"You're so secretive now. It's like you're a whole new person."

I sighed. "I'm sorry Megan, but there are some things left unsaid. I have to go. I'll see you again soon."