Chapter Eighteen

Z

"Hello!" Lia grinned as she popped up by our classroom door.

It's our lunch break, so there aren't much people here. Nandito ako dahil kailangan kong mag-advance reading sa lessons namin. With being excused for the district meet, I know there'll probably be a lot of backlogs so it's best to get ahead of them.

Naka-palit na si Lia ng damit niya dahil ngayon ang laro ng women's volleyball team for the district meet. Bukas pa yung sa amin.

"Hi, love." Ngumiti ako sa kaniya pagkaupo niya sa tabi ko. "Hindi pa kayo alis?"

"Aalis na rin," she answered and placed a small paper bag on my table. "I just wanted to give you something to eat. I know you're busy but mag-lunch ka, okay?"

I smiled at her small gesture. I've been so busy these past few weeks. With training, district meet, student council, schoolworks, and prom coming up, I'm almost getting no sleep. Lia's been really understanding about it, all, too. Valentine's kahapon pero hindi na kami naka-labas dahil may training siya tapos kami naman ay may student council meeting. It was supposed to be our first Valentine's day together.

"Oh.. wait." I grabbed my bag and brought out a small velvet box. I was supposed to give her this yesterday during our dinner, but we had to cancel, kaya naman hindi ko na rin naibigay sa kaniya.

"What's this?" tanong niya.

"Happy Valentine's." I smiled. "And happy fifth."

Ngumuso siya at tumingin sa akin nang maigi. "I didn't get you anything yet."

I laughed and held her hand. "You don't have to. You're the best gift."

"Ish!" She suppressed her smile and opened the velvet box. Her facial expression suddenly turned into one of the cutest things I've ever seen. "Aww, I love it!"

I smiled at her priceless reaction. It wasn't cheap, but I had a few extra savings in my bank account to get her a present for Valentine's. It was a necklace with a small Z initial on it.

"You want me to put it on?" tanong ko sa kaniya.

She nodded eagerly and turned around. Sinuot ko sa kaniya yung kwintas at lumingon kaagad siya sa akin habang hawak 'yon.

"I love it talaga! I wanted to buy a necklace like this eh, yung may Z na initial. Gusto ko suot ko everyday." She grinned. "I'm sorry I couldn't buy you a present! We're both so busy.."

"I promise you, Ellie, I don't need one." I pinched her cheek. "Galingan niyo sa laro."

She nodded and looked around before kissing me on the cheek. "I'll see you later! Sabay tayo uwi, right?"

Tumango na rin ako. My eyes followed her as she left the room. Hindi ko napansin na naka-ngiti lang pala ako habang pinapanuod siya. Napansin ko nalang 'yon nung tinignan ko yung paper bag na nasa mesa ko.

It's been five months, but it feels like it hasn't even been that long. Every day spent with Lia felt like time just passed by. Hindi ko na rin naramdaman yung pag-end ng schoolyear namin. Our school's volleyball team went to regionals, pero natalo rin kami doon.

Prom went by, and we all ended up at McDonald's afterwards. Most seniors were holding their own party, but the group wasn't much of in a party mood after the prom.

Junior year ended with Lia and I achieving what we both wanted to achieve. The grades, the sport, the extracurriculars. It was all there. Natuwa nga ako dahil.. siya pa ang tumulak sa akin nung ayaw ko na. Nung ayoko na sa student council, sa training, sa calculus. She was the one who encouraged me to keep going and reminded me of the dreams I'll achieve.It's funny because I used to think that having a girlfriend would ruin my momentum. I thought that my priorities would be a mess. Before her, I thought relationships would ruin me, but all it did was make me a better man.