Chapter 24 | Charms and Kisses

Start from the beginning

Holly's eyes bulged. "Prince Ale—"

"What is the meaning of this?" a shrill-pitched voice cut Holly before she could say more.

All heads turned around to see Queen Ingrid, her cat-like eyes narrowing at her daughter still in her underwear and tightly-fixed corset.

She crossed the room at a speed. "Why is my daughter still not dressed?" she hissed and the servants lowered their heads in submission. The queen whipped her head to look at Holly with the same intensity. "And I expected more from you, Miss Vanders. If my daughter is only a minute late to the celebration, the Lord and Lady of House Vanders will hear of this."

Holly bit her lip as she looked down at her feet.

Clara put herself between Holly and the queen. "Mother, it's my fault for stalling—"

But Queen Ingrid widened her eyes at her, making Clara's mouth shut. "Excuses are nothing but a patch to one's mistake, Anneliese. You don't always have to cover up for them."

The queen looked at the servants one by one before stomping her stiletto on the rug-covered floor. "Well? Chop, chop! You are not being paid to just stand there. The prince will be up here to fetch my daughter in a few. Go get her dressed!"

The servants shuffled on their feet and each one of them grabbed a pair of shoes, accessories, and perfume. Holly and the two other girls helped Clara with her gown.

Clara should be jumping out of excitement at the mere fact that she would be within the prince's proximity; yet the more she thought about it, the more listless she became.

They had barely seen each other these past few days. Whenever there was a time that their paths would cross, the prince would turn at a random corner at the last minute. And Emir was gone before Clara could tell "hello."

As the last pin was clipped onto her braided crown hair, a soft knock on the door made Clara jump out of her wits.

"Queen Ingrid. Princess Anneliese. I hereby announce my presence. May I come in?"

Clara took a deep intake of breath at the sound of Emir's deep and lulling voice muffled by the door. The room was so silent, save from the queen's shoes as she went and opened the door for him, that everyone in the room might hear the wild thumping of her heart.

The pumping of her blood matched the slap of his shoes on the granite. And when their eyes met through the mirror, Clara's knees wobbled and she had to hold on to Holly to avoid making a fool of herself.

Those eyes held much more intensity than before. What changed? Or is it me that has changed? Am I...

"I hope I didn't make the princess wait for too long?" he said with a straight face, his stare still holding hers. The prince's hair was swept back, with only a few strands falling over his forehead. There was nothing to stop Clara from getting lost in those eyes.

Seeing this silent interaction between the two, the queen couldn't hold back a grin. "Not a thing to worry about. You're just in time. If I may, I shall make my way first to the celebration."

Emir gave a single curt nod before looking over his shoulder. "Mister Beaumont, do escort Queen Ingrid to the ballroom. See to it that she arrives there safely."

"Of course, Your Highness. Shall we, Your Majesty?" came Maxwell's voice just outside the door.

"Oh please, Prince Emir." The queen let out a hearty laugh as she waved a hand in front of her face. "As if there's anything bad that may happen. Very well. I see that you two are quite excited to be alone, so I shall take my leave."