Chapter Fifteen

Bennett

Bennett

I stared down at the text Sebastian had sent me an hour ago, hating that I received it 36,000ft in the air.

Brandon asked me to go to the police station with him and Henley. Do you know why?

I had texted Henley immediately after that, but she hadn't texted me back yet. Why in the world was she going to the police station? Had something happened? Why did Brandon ask Sebastian for help and not me?

I tried to keep calm. It made more sense for Brandon to ask Sebastian for help since Sebastian was a lawyer. Henley would have told me if it were something serious, anyway.

Falling back into my seat, I sighed. But Henley's definition of serious was probably someone dying, and nothing less than that.

I shot up again, my heart rate increasing. Had someone robbed her again? Was that why Brandon was involved in this? Why hadn't I bought them a security system for their house? I should have thought of that long before this, then it wouldn't even be an issue—

"Would you like a drink, Sir?"

The stewardess caught me off guard and I nearly jumped. Recovering, I cleared my throat, and waved her away. "I'm okay, thank you, though."

"Let me know if you'd like anything."

I folded my arms across my chest as she continued down the aisle. At least her interruption kept my thoughts from spiraling. There was nothing I could do right now, anyway. Not until I landed.

For the rest of the flight, I tried to preoccupy myself by going through my notes from the multiple business meetings I'd been to over the week. In the coming month I'd have to fly back to California again for interviews. The California branch needed to hire so many new people it would be a waste of resources to fly them all out to New York for the interviews. The better option financially was to have me fly out with a few others for them.

I wanted to take Henley with me, but knew she hated flying as much as I did, and I didn't want to put her through that just for my selfish whims. I'd deal with it by myself. How had Lee traveled so much without so much as one complaint? I remembered him leaving for weeks at a time. He never said how stressful it was.

When I landed, I immediately called Sebastian, who didn't answer my call. I tried Henley just to receive her un-setup voicemail. Starting to get annoyed, no matter how I tried to convince myself not to, I got into my car, not even sure where to drive. To the office? If Henley went to the police station, didn't that mean she took the day off? And even if she didn't, it was already almost end of day. By the time I arrived there, she probably would have already left.

I tried calling Henley and Sebastian again, but neither answered. Clenching the steering wheel, I decided just to go to her house. I crept along the line of cars leaving the airport parking lot, feeling irritated at the slow pace. Why was it so busy right at this moment? Pick-up was so much faster. I hadn't wanted to leave my car at the airport all week, but Lee had got me thinking that maybe Henry wouldn't tell me no even if he didn't want to do what I asked, so I decided not to ask him anymore. And Henley was out of the question.