Chapter Eleven

Bennett

Bennett

"Have you come to a compromise with the construction company for the cancellation of the Wailea project?" I asked Lee, dropping a manila envelope on his desk. "I heard some of the managers talking about it earlier."

Complaining about it was more accurate, but Lee didn't need to hear that. He already knew.

Lee didn't look up from his laptop as I spoke to him, fingers moving rapidly across the keys. "Yes. In their favor. What is that?"

"Results from the employee satisfaction survey."

Lee paused, glancing up at me. "And?"

"It's about what we expected. The higher up management is split between low and high, but the lower positions have higher satisfaction rates than before."

"They're that unhappy about us trying to give everyone proper wages and insurance?" Lee said bitterly, snatching the envelope off the table, and flipping through it. "This is ridiculous. We should just fire them."

His words made me pause. That wasn't like him. He wouldn't talk about firing anyone that casually— no, he wouldn't even think about firing anyone. At all. "You know we can't do that. They're on the board."

"We need to do something about them."

"If we're lucky, they'll become so unhappy they'll leave on their own."

Lee threw the file back down on his desk. "This company is such a fucking mess."

I tensed, his tone startling me. I didn't think I could remember a time where Lee swore before. I almost couldn't believe my ears.

"The worst part of this all is that despite how that woman treated us, she kept this company running," Lee continued, clenching his hands into fists. "I'm just screwing everything up constantly."

"Hey," I said, walking around Lee's desk to his side and gripping his shoulder. "You're doing fine, Lee. We're changing the entire way this company works. It's not going to be easy. There will be people who are dissatisfied no matter what we do. And they'll criticize every move we make. But that doesn't matter. We just need to focus on what we believe is the right thing to do."

Lee didn't answer, glaring down at his desk. "Maybe the right thing isn't me being here."

A sudden cold spread through my body. "...What?"

"Maybe we should combine our roles back to one position and have you take over it."

Oh. That's what's what he meant. My chest still felt tight as I tried to get myself to calm down. "Lee," I started, trying to keep my voice neutral. "Are you still seeing your therapist? You haven't been yourself recently and I'm worried. Is it the stress? Do you need a break?"