Chapter Twelve

TW: mentions of suicide

Henley

I hummed to myself as I sat at Bennett's desk, leaning back in the leather office chair, using my foot to spin myself. Since Bennett was away on another business trip, he'd let me move into his office temporarily. I figured no one would dare sneak into his office and I could relax and not have to worry about any unwanted gifts. So far, there hadn't been any weird instances. Not even anything left in my office. Not since Bennett had found the last bouquet that had then sat in the lobby for a week until it wilted and was disposed of.

I stood from the chair and walked over to the floor-to-ceiling windows. The setting sun cast an orange glow across the buildings. Had these windows inspired the windows in his house that overlooked the lake? Bennett seemed to love natural light. There were plants scattered around his office, too, which sort of didn't fit his personality, but at the same time oddly suited him.

A knock came from the door and I twirled around, startled, only to see Lee poke his head in. "Oh, hi, Lee."

"Are you busy?" he asked, shutting the door behind him.

I shook my head. "Nope. I finished my work for the day. What's up?"

"Bennett asked me to show you how to work CRM software," Lee told me, smiling sheepishly.

I walked back over to Bennett's desk, sighing. "Well, it's not like it's time to leave yet, anyway. You should also show me how to use the customer service portal thing."

"Are you sure you don't mind taking this over, too?" Lee asked hesitantly, stopping by the edge of the desk, looking rueful. "The CRM is one thing, but checking on customer complaints is an extra responsibility I took on myself, we can leave it to the team, so you don't have to feel obligated—"

"It's okay," I assured him, holding my hand up to stop him. "Really. Bennett is overpaying me. I should put in the work so I actually deserve that much. And it would give you peace of mind, right? To make sure everyone is treating the guests properly regardless of their status?"

"It would, but..."

"I won't overwork myself," I told him. "Besides, you know Bennett. He wants to be out of here before five o'clock even hits."

Lee frowned. "Right."

"Drag a chair over," I said. "I've looked around it a bit, so I should be able to figure out how to work it quickly."

For the next hour, Lee patiently explained how everything worked, showing me all the tips and tricks he knew. When he began to describe how the customer service management system worked, he kept going on little tangents about the different guests he'd helped. While most would consider this a mundane and boring task, Lee talked about it like he was honored to have the opportunity to handle it. It made me feel a little bad for not finding anything but his stories interesting.