Chapter 16//

"Found you!" 14 year old Y/n stuck her head under her bed, where Kaneki laid disappointed that he was discovered.

"No fair. You're too good at this!" He complained after managing to crawl out from under the bed.

"Sore loser! You're just mad that I found you. But don't worry, I found Hide first so it's his turn to look. So you better find a better place to hide. But I will not lie, under the bed was a clever hiding spot. Too bad it was a little obvious." She ruffled his black hair before walking out of the room to meet Hide in the living room, Kaneki following after, closing the door behind him. Maybe he can get away with hiding under the bed again?
____________________________

"You can't? What do you mean?" Y/n stared at the boy confused. "You've gotta come with me! Mother will be so happy to see you again, and father has come back! He's been so worried about you too!" She took hold of his hand and gave her him a pleading look.

"Y/n....I can't. It's too risky for me to show myself in the city. And if you get involved with me, people may come for you too. I can't put you in that type of danger. I can help you get back to your family, but I can't be seen." He explained, causing the girl to frown.

"You're right. I'm sorry." Her hands dropped to her sides and her gaze was cast to the floor. "But I can't risk losing you again...Will you promise to visit me?" Her hands clenched into fists and began to tremble lightly.

She felt the comfort of two arms wrapping around her. Kaneki gently pushed her head onto his shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. He'd always hold her when she was upset when they were younger. While having her in his arms, he wondered how much has changed since he left.

Was her favourite colour still (favourite colour)?

Was her favourite food still (favourite food)?

Does she still put off work until the last minute?

Is she still the best friend he once knew?

"I promise." He answered her, his hand rubbing circles on her back in a soft, comforting manner, just like when they were younger.
_______________________________

The fear of losing a daughter had completely swallowed the poor Mrs. L/n. She'd spent the whole day cooped up in her bedroom, sulking in the dread of her lost daughter.

A sudden shift in weight from the bed notified her of the new presence in the room. Snapping out of her daze, she looked to her husband who then wrapped an arm around her shoulder to pull her closer. He gave a kiss to the top of her head and pat her head with his available hand.

The woman quietly seeked comfort from the male's embrace.

"You're comming with us to the night watch?" Mr. L/n asked his wife.

The woman in question only nodded as a reply to his question, not daring to move away from his hold.

"You've been in here for a long time...can I take you out for some fresh air please? I'm worried about your health." Mr. L/n voiced his concerns about his wife.

Mrs. L/n stayed quiet, not knowing what to say to him. He held a convincing point, her health wasn't the best, in only a few hours, her face had been stained with tears, her eyes red and her cheeks puffy. Her hair was a mess and mascara ran don't the sides of her face, following the river the tears have mad. Her throat hurt from the dryness cause by the constant crying and no water intake. It hurt for her to use her voice. She hated how she seemed so weak. She was always seen as a strong and independent woman who can care for her child without the presence of her husband. But all her world revolved around was gone.

"Maranda." Mr. L/n called out to the woman. Who in return finally removed herself from him.

"I-I'll focus more on myself when Y/n is back. Our daughter is my first priority." Her voice sounded hoarse and scratchy. She pushed herself off the bed and walked over to her closet. "I'll take a quick shower before we leave." She warned him after pulling out a towel from the closet. "I advice you do the same...you've been out all day. And it's still daybreak. You're gonna need to freshen up." She told him before walking into the bathroom built into their bedroom.

The sound of running water was soon heard, indicating that she got into the shower.

A soft sigh escaped Mr. L/n. He followed his wife with his towel in hand into the bathroom. "Don't stress yourself too much ok?" A little later, he got into the shower.
______________________________

*Time Skip*

"You're ready to leave now." Kaneki pat the girl's head. She had a backpack containing some supplies incase it takes her longer to get home.

"We'll see each other again right? You promised we would." She cast her gaze to the ground. "I won't hesitate to come after you again." She joked sadly.

"I wouldn't expect anything else." He wrapped his arms around her. "Be careful Y/n."

A small chuckle came from her. "I love you Ken."

_______________________________

While driving down a less crowded road, farther away from the city, Mrs. L/n looked out the window. Looking for a firmiliar figure.

"Whatcha looking for?" Mr. L/n joked after seeing his wife's dishearted face.

A soft smile made its way onto her lips as she answered, "Lost something of mine."

"Oh yeah? Need some help looking?"

"I don't trust drivers to look for something and keep the car stable at the same time." Mr. L/n pretended to be hurt from her statement.

"Well lady, I'd like to tell you that I'm a good multitasker."

"I'll believe it when we make it out alive sir."

"Is that a challenge?" A small smirk grazed his lips before he gave his full attention to the road once more, and Mrs. L/n only laughed at the action.

"Just drive. My daughter's out there somewhere." She faced the road, a small smile on her lips but it soon fell into a slight frown. Her brows furrowed and a sigh left her.

The car ride was quiet from then on. Their gaze was intently focused on the road and surrounding areas.

_________________________

Tiredly, she walked along what she could now make out as a road. Her feet moved faster against the road once she saw a firmiliar car driving towards her.

"Mom? Dad?" Reading the figure's on the car's number plate, she realised it was indeed one of her family's car. The 2 figures in the car started to look more recognisable, it was indeed her parents. "Mom! Dad!" The car came to a slow stop and the woman in the passenger seat exited the vehicle.

"Y/n!" Stepping out of the car, she ran up to her daughter before wrapping her arms around her. "I'm so glad you're ok!" Quickly pulling away, she glared at her daughter and used her index finger to press against her chest. "What were you thinking? You could've gotten yourself killed!" Now wrapping her arms around her again, she sighed tiredly. "At least your ok. You had us worried sick."

"Y/n." Looking up to see her father now walking towards her. He wrapped his arms around both his wife and daughter. "Never do that again." He demanded in a firm tone.

"I won't. I promise." She hugged her parents back.

"Oh and Y/n?" Her mother caught her attention.

"Yeah?"

"You're grounded."

"......" Not knowing how to respond to that, she stayed quiet.

"For two months." Her father added.

"...C-can we just go home?"

Haven't updated in a while. This is the end of the story and there will be a short epilogue after so yeah. If you kept reading thanks and sorry for the rare updates.