Chapter 18

There in front of her was a private terrace. It wasn't huge but it wasn't small either! There were many pots, filled with mud but no plants. It was dirty and dusty. Jenny was amazed. What else did this house have? She was so excited. She could picture a beautiful terrace. All those pots could be filled with flowers and herbs. There in the corner she can place a small. Coffee table and two comfortable chairs. She could sit here and relax the whole day! And it was nice that it was hidden behind the roof. 

She smiled.

“I guess I have work to do.”

She made a mental note to come back and clean the terrace. She could sweep the floor clean for her to sit down. She has to go and buy a broom and a dustpan. She suddenly paused.

*Why am I doing all of this?*

She thought about it. This house didn't belong to her. Why was she taking so much interest in it? Why?

She remembered why.

When she first came here to hide from her bullies, she felt calm. She felt peaceful. She felt like home. Even though the house was old, she felt nice here. She liked the house. She wanted to explore more of this house. She wanted it to be hers.

Her eyes widen.

She wanted this house!

She can buy this house when she has enough money! She can live here! Since it is old and abandoned, she can buy it at a cheaper price and remake it. She nods in determination. She will buy it and move out of her parents house when she turns eighteen. She didn't like it there anyway.

“Okay! First, let me go buy lunch and cleaning supplies!” She runs back to the ground floor and walks out of the back door.

She happily skips to the convenience store, thinking of what to have for lunch. She thought of having cup noodles but where would she get hot water? Or should she stop at a fast food place? Or get a takeaway? She couldn't decide.

She was lost in thought when she bumps someone's back.

“Ow!” She yelps as she rubs her forehead. She looks up to apologise to the person. Her blood runs cold. Why did she have to bump into him today? She gulps as Daniel, her bully smirks as he recognises her. He was there with his three friends.

“Oh look who we have here! Long time no see princess!”

With that, Jenny turns and starts running. She had to get away from them.

“Don't let her run away! Get her!” He exclaims. She can hear his friends chase her. She starts crying. She didn't want to get caught this time. She remembers everything they did to her at school. She didn't know what she did to him to make him hate her so much. He just hated her. With a passion.

She prayed. She prayed for someone to help her.

*Please! Save me! Save me this time!*

Her prayers were answered.

She sees someone walking ahead of her. She could recognise him from his back. She screams.

“JACOB!!”

The said person stops and looks back immediately. He recognised the voice. He sees her running to him, a group of guys chasing her. His heart drops, what was happening to her?

He runs towards her and in one swift move, pulls her behind him. He could feel her shaking behind him. He glares at the group of guys who also stopped at the sight of him. He felt anger rise up in him.

“Who the heck are you?!” One of them yells.

“First of all, why the heck are YOU after her?!” He asks them. He tries his best to not go and punch the shit out of their arrogant faces.

“Hand over our Princess to us and you can leave. You don't have to get involved in this. Now scram!” The guy yells.

Jenny's grip tightens around him.

“Please don't let me go.” She whispers, her voice shaky.

What did they do to her that made her fear them so much? He could hear the pain in her voice.

“I said hand that worthless piece ov—”

That's all it took for Jacob to punch the guy straight in the face. He stumbled backwards, holding his face in his hands.

“Ow! What the?!” He looks up to see the pair missing.

“Where are they?!” He asks his friends. They kept looking around but couldn't find him. He looks at both of his friends.

“You didn't see where they went?”

They shook their heads.

“We were worried about you. Your nose is bleeding! Let's get Daniel and go back home.” One of them says. He nods in agreement and the three of them walk back to Daniel.
________

Jacob and Jenny lean against the wall as they catch their breath.

After Jacob had punched Daniel's friend in the face, he grabbed Jenny's hand and they took off running. They stopped running after they were far away from the guys. He had led her into an alley.

Jenny, emotionally and physically tired from the incidents, slid down the wall and sat on the ground. Unable to bear it anymore, she burst out crying, pulling her leg closer to her chest.

All she wanted was a peaceful summer. They bullied her in school, doesn't mean they had to bully her everywhere they saw her. Why did they do that to her? Why can't she be at peace? Why does everything work against her? Her brother died, her parents didn't take care of her, her mom is cheating on dad and she is being bullied. Why? Should she just die? And end everything? Maybe then she can join her brother and Jasper.

Strong arms wrap around her as she cries. She looks up to see Jacob hugging her. He pulls her closer to him.

“It's okay Jenny, cry. Let it all out.”

That's all it took for her to burst into tears again. This time she hugged Jacob and cried hard as he rubbed her back, comforting her in the alley.
________

“Jeff? I think you have something else to resolve.” Jasper tells him as they look at Jacob comforting Jenny. Thank goodness she found him at the right time. They were thankful for everything he did for her.

“Yeah. And I must do it soon.” Jeff whispers, tears falling from his eyes. He couldn't see his loved ones get hurt anymore. He had to resolve this.

Soon.

*********