Part 6

Edith, Peter, Cynthia and Michael stayed the night at Eden's across the street from 45 Lampkin Lane as the police and medics attended to Judith. They had all just come back from the police station while questioning Michael which went nowhere, as he was believed to be in a state of shock. Edith and Peter had their suspicions that Danny had murdered their daughter because the medics had clarified the semen had been found on Judith's corpse. The sight of Michael standing with a bloodied knife had horrified them beyond words. 

Peter had just got off the phone with the medical team at Haddonfield Hospital in tears trying to tell his wife Judith had been pronounced dead at 1:00 am. They could not sleep all night with grief. It was then that the police come to the door to arrest their six year old son for third degree murder. Edith and Peter were told that the small finger prints next to Edith's were of that of a small child. They had no choice to arrest Michael for the murder. 

To Peter and Edith's despair, the police took Michael to the police station to await his sentence. It had took a few days to give Michael the sentence that he was to remain at Smith's Grove Sanatorium until the day of his twenty first birthday to stand trial in prison for the murder of his sister, Judith Margaret Myers. 

10th November, 1963

Smiths Grove Sanatorium, Russellville, Illinois. 

Doctor Samuel Loomis had been given the task of treating Michael's psychological problems. The boy had not spoken a word since their introduction to each other which had troubled Loomis. Michael was put into a room with other boys who were much older than him by about eight years at least. There was, Blair who had killed his sister also, Adrian who had a severe obsession with food. The other two were Roger was a self-mutilator and Tony O Marley who was really violent. Loomis hoped Michael would not get into any sort of trouble with the other boys. 

It was lunchtime in the Sanatorium and Michael had not turned up to dinner with the others so Loomis went to check on him. He had found Michael in his room just staring outside the window at the top of his bed. Michael had not even noticed that his doctor was there.

"Michael?" Loomis called softly. "Its time for dinner."

Michael turned around and stared at Loomis for several minutes with the blackest eyes. 

"Come on." Loomis indicated to Michael that he go to the dining room with him. When they approached, Loomis was standing behind Michael to make sure he did not go anywhere he wasn't supposed to. 

Adrian was arguing with members of the kitchen staff to fed him more and eventually got dragged back to his room by other staff kicking and begging for more food. O' Marley had noticed Michael and was eyeing him from a table across the room from where Michael was.  Loomis noticed Michael was not even looking at O' Marley, instead he just sat down in a corner whilst Loomis brought him his food over in a plastic tray. 

"There you go, Michael." Loomis smiled at the boy who just stared at the tray. "Eat up."

Michael started eating his meal as Loomis caught the eye of the nurse he had been liking since the first day he saw her. She smiled at him as she came over to him.

"Why, hello there." She said to Michael who continued eating, not muttering a single word. 

"Hello, Nurse.. Pardon me, I don't know your name." Doctor Loomis said. 

"I'm Nurse Marie." She replied. "And you are?"

"Doctor Loomis. Dr Sam Loomis, Nurse Marie."

"Nice to meet you Dr Loomis. Is this your patient?" She indicated to Michael. 

"Yes, he is. This is Michael."

"Hello, Michael."

No reply. 

Loomis was getting used to Michael's silence and in many ways, he was his ideal patient because he never spoke, move or show any sign of emotion. It did worry him though, those who didn't say a word were dangerous. No one knew what was to come of Michael.