Chapter Twenty-Six

Destruction. That's what I see. My dreams of reuniting with Sam, the hopes that he'd come one night to rescue me and we could live a happy, normal life. Like a fool, I allowed myself to daydream. To hope. It was my only chance to stand up against the fear that trickled in, the terror that began to consume me. Now, the truth stands before me. Sam was never to be trusted. Sam is the one responsible for the death of Commander Coin, for the bombing that nearly killed us. Someone I dreamt a world of possibilities with, a traitor. Just as Snow was. Corruption follows me.

Snow's words echo in my mind as I struggle to make sense of everything. Not only was Sam a spy for the Capitol, but he was responsible for my location being revealed to Snow. My heart feels like it's been shattered into a million pieces.

How could I have been so naive? I trusted Sam completely, and he used that trust to serve the very people we're fighting against. The thought of him working with the enemy makes me sick to my stomach. And now, because of him, innocent people have lost their lives.

Snow watches me with a cold, calculating gaze, as if he's waiting for my reaction. But I can't react. I'm numb, still trying to process everything he's told me. All I can think about is Sam, the man I thought I loved. Was any of it real? Or was it all just an act to get close to me and gather information for the Capitol? My mind is racing with questions, but I can't seem to find any answers. All I know is that Sam has betrayed me and everything I stand for. And I can't forgive him for that.

Snow offers me his condolences, but I can tell that he's secretly pleased. He's won again, using my own emotions against me to gain an advantage over me. But I won't let him win for long. I'll use my pain and anger to fuel my fight against the Capitol and those who serve it. And Sam will pay for his betrayal.

    I gather the courage to speak, and weakly muster out a "Why?" Snow looks at me with a cocked eyebrow, as if he doesn't understand my question. I clear my throat, and repeat, "Why would he do this?"

    Snow chuckles, then taps his fingers together methodically. "Like I said, you can't trust anyone. Not even those you..." He hesitates for a moment, then rage fills his eyes and he spits, "Not even those you love." As Snow looks at me, a knowing glint in his eye, I feel anger bubble up inside of me. He can't be telling the truth. There's no way Sam would be the spy. He wouldn't kill his own uncle. He wouldn't betray District 13 like this.

"You're lying," I accuse Snow, "You're just saying this to hurt me."

He smirks at me, his lips curling up into a twisted grin. "Oh Lucy, you always were naive. You really think Sam was with you because he loved you? He was just using you, just like everyone else in this world does."

I can't believe what I'm hearing. Sam loved me, he told me he did. But Snow's words cut deep, making me question everything I thought I knew. "And what about you?" I challenge him, "You still love me, don't you? That's why you're telling me this, to make me hurt."

Snow's grin falters for a moment, but he quickly regains his composure. As if I've struck a nerve. He sighs, then admits, "Lucy, I never loved you. You were just a path to redemption, a means to an end."

Tears well up in my eyes as I realize the truth of his words. I had always suspected that Snow had ulterior motives for taking an interest in me, but I had hoped that maybe, just maybe, he cared for me in some small way. But now I see that he never did, that everything he ever did was for his own benefit. I feel like I've been hit by a ton of bricks. How could he do this to me? How could he pretend to love me, just to use me for his own gain?

"You should never trust anyone's motives, Lucy," Snow continues, his voice steady and controlled, "Everyone has their own agenda, their own goals. Even those who claim to love you." I can't help but feel like he's talking about himself. Was everything between us just a lie?

And then, he says something that makes my blood run cold. He admits to poisoning others to rise to the presidency. "You were right, Lucy, in your accusations. But no one will ever believe you."

I don't know how to process what he's saying. It's true. Everything we thought in thirteen, all of it is true. He killed his way to the top. I shake my head in disbelief and cry, "You have all this power, and yet you tried to sell me off?"

It's a low move, changing the subject, but I need to know why. He could've killed me to make a show of a rebellious victor. He could've used me as a lover, married me in front of the Capitol and swept me away from 13. But he didn't. He sold me off.

Snow smiles, then plucks at the rose hanging from his lapel. "There are some things you don't understand, Lucy. Some things the Capitol yearns for you wouldn't be able to process. Victors, you're a commodity here. We need you. The people ache for you. It was to show you, and them, that you are property of the Capitol. You're lucky I let you choose, and even luckier you chose Cassius. But believe me, after his words about us... he did not suffer the same fate."

I gasp in shock. I know what this means - he's killed Cassius. Or at least, locked him up. Done something to him that's unbearable to think of. "I don't understand," I say, my voice shaking, "How could you do something like that?"

Snow looks at me, his eyes hard and unyielding. "I did what I had to do to achieve my goals. I will stop at nothing to maintain my power." I feel sick to my stomach as I realize the true extent of his cruelty and ambition. This man, who I thought was my ally, is a monster.

"I can't stay with you," I say, my voice filled with determination, "I can't be with someone who is capable of such evil."

Snow looks at me, his expression unreadable. "That's your opinion, Lucy. But know this - I will always be one step ahead of you. And you are mine now."

In a fit of rage, I scream and go to strike him, but he grabs my hand. "Watch it," he says through gritted teeth. "Or I'll throw you in the cells with Cassius."

"I'd rather be with him than you," I spit. Snow's nostrils flare, but he regains his composure.

"I can't deal with this right now," he says, his voice low and dangerous. "I need some time alone."

I watch as he walks away, his figure disappearing into the shadows. As he goes, I feel my chest crack in two. I have to get back to thirteen and tell them about Sam, about Snow, even about Cassius. I need them to rescue me.

I need to send a message to them.