Chapter Eighteen

"What is it?" President Adalia said as I walked into her office, sounding exasperated. I halted, not wanting to bother her. But I had to tell her the truth, and I had to warn her of the dangers of Coriolanus.

Sam sat at the table with her, and they looked to be going over papers with new strategies. We're supposed to meet for extended training soon, and he gives me a look as if to say, "What are you doing here?" I fidget with my hands a bit, struggling to find the words to say.

"Um, it's um... it's about the Capitol," I begin, and President Adalia shoots out of her seat.

"Is it? What is it? Do you know something?" She says, almost excitedly, but with a grim edge in her voice. I don't want to disappoint her, but I don't know anything about the spy. I don't even have a glimpse of who it could be. So, I shake my head no.

I start again, "No, it's not about that." I can't help but notice the disappointment and loss of motivation from the president. She sits back down slowly and clasps her hands together. "It's about Coriolanus. Coriolanus Snow, my mentor from the games. Philip said that people in the Capitol are dying left and right-"

"For good reason," Sam butts in, and I shoot him an angry look for interrupting me. He shrugs, returning to his nonchalant stance. He's probably thinking, we're missing training for this?

"Anyway, people are dying. Quickly. And there's one person who keeps climbing the ranks... Coriolanus. And I don't think it's an accident."

President Adalia looks at me inquisitively, a hand on her chin. She furrows her brow and says, "So you're saying he has something to do with it?"

I nod my head. "Yes. He's always been power hungry, and he's not opposed to killing and framing people. I witnessed it first-hand in District 12."

Sam puts his hands on the table, shaking his head and looking confused. "Wait, you're saying he's done this before? In District 12?"

I sigh, not wanting to recall the memories I'd once buried. The death of Sejanus had been horrible. And once I found out Coriolanus was behind it... "Not exactly. But something like it. Who's to say his goal isn't to get all the way to the presidency? What then? If he knows about District 13, everyone is in danger."

President Adalia waves her hands. "Nevermind these suspicions. While they're believable, and I don't doubt the truth behind them, I want to know what happened in District 12."

I grimace and take a deep breath. Okay, here goes. "Do you remember Sejanus Plinth, the mentor for the games from the districts?" Both Sam and President Adalia nod. "Well, he was executed in District 12 for murder. But... he didn't do it. Coriolanus did. Coriolanus and I decided to run off and live in the woods, to find someplace new, but then... all hell broke loose when I found out. Coriolanus isn't afraid of ending lives and putting someone else to blame for it. I think he's gone after the president next. Which means..."

"Which means Coriolanus will become the next president," Sam butts in. "The vice president just died today. It's all happening so fast... holy shit. This is crazy."

"I believe you, Lucy," President Adalia says, looking at me pointedly. "But if this is true... everything we stand for is in danger. Especially if there's a spy. If news that you're here gets out..."

"I know. He'll stop at nothing to get me from telling the truth, once he finds out I'm alive..."

Just then, the anthem of Panem blares on the large screen in front of the table. A mandatory viewing. I glance at Sam, and read what the screen says:

BREAKING NEWS: PRESIDENT RAVINSTILL DEAD