17. Aftermath: The First Dance, Leave them wanting more

Captain Bell and Lady Raina rejoined the conspirators.

"Miss Uki, I believe that I will take you up on your offer to consult with me, and I shall call upon you this week to do so at your convenience," Captain Bell said. Then he nodded to Holly. "Now, if you'll excuse me, my auntie has told me that I am not allowed to move on to other matters tonight before I dance with Miss Bun. Miss Bun, would you do me the honor?"

Holly wilted briefly, but when he extended a paw to her she greedily accepted as if to say- Freya, you may have danced with him first, but I will win him over. Somehow she didn't turn to stick out her tongue at Freya like she had when they were small.

"Gladly," she said, following him onto the dance floor. As she departed Abigail returned.

"Now girls," Lady Raina said, "I've been perfectly clear with Captain Bell that he is to be an absolute gentleman around the three of you. Leave him wanting more. The same goes for that Lord Richards as well." She gives Abigail a stern look, and then sighs. "Do keep an eye on my niece. I worry that girl, like many before her, thinks that she can change that rabbit."

Abigail and Freya nodded.

Leave them wanting more, Freya thought, considering the grand hall of suitors before them. I could do that. I could help Abigail and Holly set their traps, snare the right suitors...

"You know that I've worked with him before," Lady Raina said. There was a far-off look in her eye, as though she was speaking more to herself. "Men claim not to understand us, but this rabbit is a mystery to me. A reliable Soldier... but an unusual one."

The silence dragged on as Lady Raina pondered, and Freya cleared her throat, exchanging a puzzled glance with Abigail. Lady Raina seemed to awaken from her reverie, snapping her fan shut. "Carrying on," Lady Raina said. "How did you fare Abigail?"

"I met an interested fox—well, I gave him my calling card at least," Abigail said quietly, but her ears drooped as she spoke, watching something over Freya's shoulder.

Freya glanced back to see Lord Richard dancing with another lady fox, one that she didn't know the name of. "His mother probably insisted he dance with her," Freya said. "You know how mothers are."

It wasn't her most deft effort, but Abigail offered a small smile, so Freya chose to consider it a success. Lady Raina humphed.

"Either way, I would consider this night a good start. There is a good chance that all three of you will get a visit from someone this week. Perhaps having the Queen's eye as well as taking a dance with Captain Bell will attract the right mouse or rabbit. Now," and here she nodded off to the side, where a handful of gentlemen had begun to hover, awaiting an opening in the conversation."Perhaps we should begin another round of introductions," she said, and ushered them forward into battle.

The rest of the night was a blur of introductions for Freya, Holly, and Abigail, and between the dancing and the chatting, Freya realized that she hadn't eaten anything in hours. She hadn't eaten, and she didn't care, so wrapped up she was in the game playing out before her. It was one thing to take the courses with Lady Raina, it was quite another to attempt to walk the walk. Freya wasn't where she wanted to be, but she was beginning to understand her options.

Before they knew it, they were settled once more in Lady Raina's carriage, leaving the city behind for the verdant rolling hills of Yellowrock West. The girls compared notes about each of the men they had encountered, and Lady Raina listened as the merits of this Lord or that Gentleman were ranked.

The only time she even raised an eyebrow was when the girls rated Captain Bell over Baron Cornflower. She told them that was an interesting choice to be certain.

They were dropped off one by one, Lady Raina having wrangled a promise from each to entertain any visitors that came calling. They agreed to meet again for tea the following afternoon... something about knickers or briefs, Freya didn't catch the word, but she caught the meaning.