7. The Rabbit down the road

Leaving the family burrow, Freya loped towards the Bun estate just down the road. She had so much to tell her oldest friend. First, the chickens had accepted her and one had taken her name, then she had been invited to take part in the short society preparations that the elusive Lady Raina had offered.

Mother was always at the Exterior department speaking to various members of the coalition and helping to ease trade deals and other such things. Father was always so tired after a day of fletching that she'd been spending all of her time with Old Gran. A wealthy landed Mouse-like her father shouldn't have to spend all of his time working, but since he provided for his two children that still remained at home, Freya thought that it was probably worth it.

The gentle sloping plain at the end of Father's estates cut a strong contrast against the mercilessly plowed fields. Those fields that just two weeks ago were full of vegetables now lay bare as the winter harvest was all in, either at the market or in cold storage deep underground in a tunnel Father had some of the Underground make.

Far past the amber fields, the Bun estate started to pop up. The regal facade of the manor came into view and it was quite large. The Lord and Lady Bun had eight children, the youngest of which was Freya's friend, Holly Bun. All of Holly's older brothers and sisters had long since been married off which left the house to be cared for by a large working-class staff of moles, voles, rabbits, and even a mouse or two.

Freya smelled the sweet aroma of baked apple pies as she passed the bare orchards. The Bun family was famous for both its apple pies as well as its hard ciders. It was quite likely that they would be hosting a society event if not a full-on ball as they had the land, but many city folks from inside Yellowrock looked down upon those events as beneath them. Traveling so far out was bothersome when all the comforts one needed was right there.

Passing underneath the entry gate, she was reminded of the difference between the mice and the rabbits in the Woodland Coalition. Adorning the Arch was an old design of Fox, Rabbit, and Mouse colors, representing each as circles. The ancient symbol of trust among the three races, that they may never split again as it had been centuries ago. Grandpaw had an old shield with the design that he kept over the hearth as a reminder.

Flapping on one side of the gate was a flag representing the new Yellowrock Union with the Underground and the Aviary had not made such a good symbol at least in Freya's opinion. Instead, the Union flag had one paw, one talon, and one claw. The paw represented all of the races in the Woodland Coalition, the talon all of the birds in the eyrie, and the claw the Underground. The Aviary had four unique flags for each division, but Freya had never spent the time to learn those, and the Underground accepted the Union flag as they were less for symbols of social or political status and more for symbols of wealth.

Freya was shocked that she hadn't passed a single worker on her way in, but she expected that they would probably be on vacation with the harvest done. If so, who had baked the pie then?

She followed her nose around the back of the large white imposing manor to the back door of the kitchen where a warm apple pie sat unattended. Slinking forward, she wondered if she could get a piece before she was heard.

A crunch—crud—killed her chances as she pulled something gross out of her paw. Why did she have to step on a leaf and probably alert someone that she was there?

Within seconds a familiar pair of grey floppy ears and a tangerine headband popped up over the pie.

"Who goes there!" A gruff imitation of an old rabbit said with a girl's voice.

"Why tis I, Penny the Pie thief, don't give me any trouble you old git," Freya said in a deep accented play voice, "As I think that this pie deserves to be free, and in my belly."

The floppy ears trembled as the person under the window sill tried not to chuckle.

"I dare say old chap that you'd better go on before I show you what's what!" Another gruff imitation of an old rabbit said.

A lithe grey rabbit opened the nearby door from the kitchen as she giggled.

"Holly!" Freya embraced her.

"Freya!" Holly squeezed back, nearly choking the life out of Freya.

"You-you're squeezing the life..." Freya choked out the words.

Holly let go.

"Ah! Sorry! It's just been so boring around here with nothing to do, and I feel like I haven't seen anyone since harvest except for the cook," Holly said, her face reddening.

"Well now that I'm here, do you think that uh..." Freya said slipping into her deep accent, "Penny the pie thief could get a slice there mum?"

"Of course! That would only be proper!" Holly said, turning to lead Freya back up the two steps into the kitchen.

The large wooden kitchen seemed vast in comparison with her home kitchen, but Freya knew that the proprietors had children and cousins that came to visit, as well as the workers that had to eat. So many mouths and all of that rested upon Lord Bun to provide for.

"Where are your parents?" Freya asked, twitching her whiskers as she straightened her fur. One ought to be prepared when one called upon Bun Manor, and Freya realized that in her haste she had just dashed over to confirm something that Lady Raina had only just said to her. Why Lady Raina was probably still back at her home!

"Father is in the city to carry out some business, it sounds like this year's cider is quite a hit and he's been trying to make sure that we can carry on that proud tradition," Holly said, accepting a slice of the still steaming pie from Freya who had not only gotten out a pair of forks but also had moved the pie, cut it and served it onto two plates all while Holly watched in amazement at the speed.

"Mother is around and will probably see us soon, but is something amiss?" Holly stared mouth agape as Freya inhaled an entire slice. Usually, this wasn't how Freya did anything at all, Holly mused. Holly was used to Freya's little eccentricities and she had definitely been a part of the shenanigans before.

Freya quickly relayed the morning's event with the druid to Holly conspiratorially. Holly sipped her tea, taking in every detail of Freyas description of the druid's garb and methods. Holly gasped when Freya explained the episode with the cockroaches. Finally, she brought up the rabbit that the cockroaches had transported to her house.

"I'll tell you what, old girl," Freya said in the accented Rabbit speech, "You never told me that your aunt was going to give you a course in ladylike behaviors right before this winter's round of society events!"

Holly regretted all of her life choices at that moment as it appeared that her aunt had conspired to turn her greatest ally against her. Freya was going to Aunt Raina's preparatory course?