Martha was upset enough that Evelyn decided to dive headfirst into the war efforts - now she had spent several months away from her. The only phones in the hospital were reserved for staff, so the nurses and VADs had to go with the old-fashioned letters for now. President Wilson still held firm to his stance on American neutrality, which meant no foreign civilian letters or calls. Evelyn hadn't been able to hear from her family in over a year and it drove her mad. 

Despite the stress of the intense training, the drastic amount of learning material, the chaos of war looming over those who hadn't yet seen its effects, and the anxiety of not being able to speak to her family, Evelyn had developed a real passion for what she was doing and found fulfillment in helping people this way. The nurses still in America of course hadn't had to experience aiding a soldier yet, but they were tasked with numerous elderly people's infections, some gunshot wounds, a few children with broken bones - it wasn't invigorating, perse, but it was gratifying.

She realized how much she took the comforts of home for granted. Mrs. Patmore's potatoes, her warm bed, getting to play with Isis, having an entire library to choose from, going to the kitchen when she was bored. She had even forgotten her own birthday while here, realizing it three days later. She had always been bad about forgetting it. Little did she know, that the staff at Downton celebrated their dear Evie. Mrs. Patmore made a small cake as the staff sang happy birthday. Was it weird? Sure. But when she returned would they be able to tell her they still haven't missed a single year singing happy birthday to her since she arrived? Yes.

Evelyn was soon met with the brown paint-chipped door that was her room for the time. A few letters littered the base of it. Evelyn picked them up and looked through them, most of them having her bunkmate's name.

"Cynthia Ellis...Cynthia Ellis...Cynthia Ellis...Evelyn Levinson." Evelyn smiled finally seeing her name on two letters - one from Martha and the other from Samuel. 

Pushing through the door she dropped Cynthia's letters onto her bed and then sat on her own, removing her bonnet before ripping into the letters starting with Martha's:

_______________________________________________

My dear Evelyn,

This was my fourth attempt to send you a care package and they informed me I still can't! The audacity. Some bread, a few jars of strawberry preserves, and some socks have nearly caused a mini-war in Rhode Island. Ridiculous. Anyway, Harold has still had no luck contacting Downton...though I wouldn't worry. I know they're just fine except for the fact that you're not there. Though I can't imagine how they feel - I had you here for not even two months and I'm quite miserable I must say. Though, that might just be because Harold is a menace to my life. Reed has kept me sane, however. She's a sweet girl. She asked about you a few times. Mises Murphy also asked about you...terrible woman. Cusses like a sailor. And I know you said I only hated her because she beat my winning streak in rummy but I know she cheated so I have every right to reject that sinner. Anyway, I told her you were serving our country, unlike her son who is serving jail time.

Write back soon! I love you my dear (and favorite) granddaughter.

- Martha

_______________________________________________

Evelyn chuckled at her grandmother's rambunctious attitude. It was nice to hear from her as most of her letters put a much-needed smile on her face. She especially appreciated how her uncle Harold was still trying to get in communication with her family for her. She didn't expect any luck, however. Sighing, she moved on to Samuel's letter, expecting the same news on his efforts as Harold's.

_______________________________________________

Evelyn,

I've faired well in Houston but it would seem my City of London has called me back. They informed me I was too old to be considered for drafting, but my services would be useful to them on the Front - I'm leaving tomorrow. I asked if I would be allowed to bring a passenger back with me, but I was told they have specific charter criteria for now...I'm so sorry. I damn near begged but they wouldn't have it. I had no luck contacting your family here; however, I will see them when I return and I will give them all the letters you've sent me so they can be fairly caught up on your life. I'll work on communication while I'm there as well. This will be the last you hear of me for a while. Be careful out there. If you are sent to France, you will be able to send letters to Yorkshire - if you do make it there, don't forget to write me so I know you're safe. Thank you for your friendship during my time here, I am grateful.