13

D took the man's hand, feeling her eyes rest on the necklace he wore. He chuckled. "My eyes are up here, dear." He gestured to his face with an amused smile. D frowned.

"Call me dear again and I'll eat your heart while it's still beating." From the moment he opened his mouth, D hated him. He seemed... annoying.

Jack simply shook his head, laughing quietly. "Very feisty!" He turned to Mason, who looked amazed for some reason. "Hale, I've been told that this one has complied with you. Is there any known reason?" 

Mason shook his head. "No sir. But I have been told that it seems to also react positively to SCP-999 and both of the 131's. It seems to be fond of other SCP's, and as you stated, me." 

D stood up, pissed. Were they trying to annoy her? Surely even the most basic human could agree that being talked about when you were RIGHT THERE was annoying.

Bright simply put a hand up, right in her face. In an instinctual movement, she grabbed his ring finger in a fist and snapped it. Mason went pale and Bright froze, sucking in a long breath. "Well." 

D smiled, and Bright turned, suddenly shoving her to the ground, then straightening and fixing his hair. She blinked and stood up. "Fuck you." Bright sighed. "No, dear. That would be illegal. You are much younger than me, and still a minor."

D blinked. Was that a joke? She bit her tongue and took out her knife, going to the door and examining the card slot. Maybe stabbing it would work. She tapped her foot and steadied her hand, ready to plunge the blade into the electric box.

A hand was on the back of her neck before she knew what was happening. Her face slammed into the door and she felt her teeth smash together, her tongue right between them. She tasted blood. 

"Now, don't leave yet. We aren't done with you." D squirmed, but Bright's grip was painfully tight. He used his other hand to grab her wrist, twisting it and causing her to drop her weapon.

Shit.

She was silent. She couldn't talk. She was powerless. "Sir- please be careful with it! If you kill it then it will go into a comatic state and heal."

D clenched her teeth. She could tell from his voice that Mason was worried about her, not about whatever shit he was talking about. She wanted to scream, and she began to squirm against Bright.

He just laughed. Laughed! God fucking dammit. Who was this man? Why wasn't he scared? What was wrong with him?

"Hale, I am quite aware of this. I'm also aware of your strange fondness for the creature. I wonder, did you know it before it was introduced to the Foundation?"

D let out a snarl. "Don't mention that. I don't want to be reminded of it." Bright let out a mall 'tsk' noise and let go of her wrist.

"Mention what?" He sounded genuinely curious. D kicked herself for getting emotional about something. Again.

"Before I came here. The Foundation. I'm not that. She wasn't me. She loved. She cared." D took a breath and bucked her head back, then immediately fell onto her knees and caused Bright to lose his grip on her. She grabbed her knife and hopped up, taking a step away from him.

He blinked at her, his mouth trying to smile and frown at the same time. D tucked her knife away and sat down on the bed. Mason just stood there, dumbfounded. D spit out some blood.

"That's not me anymore. Whatever pathetic, useless, disgusting care I had for anyone is gone. Gone. I'm not afraid of you," she got up and stepped up to him, poking him in the chest. "nor am I scared of the creatures you collect here like some sort of hoarder of death."

She met his gaze. He was frowning again. She narrowed her eyes. He did the same, before clearing his throat and stepping back. "You are quite strange. You seem to be... regretful. Guilty, even."

She sucked in a breath and felt her heart stop just for a moment. He chuckled. "Ah, you poor girl. You may think you are broken, as most children your age do. But you are not. You are simply missing a piece. And from the looks of it, you'll never ever get it back."

D took a shaky step back. Did he know? Could he? She like her blood was beginning to freeze; chunks of red ice tearing her veins open and snagging against her muscles. She wiped the tears from her cheek.

Tears? When had she started crying? Bright examined her with the utmost curiosity, and Mason looked completely terrified. After a moment Bright went up to her, crouching to make eye contact with her.

"You poor thing..."

He shoved her back, onto the bed. He pinned her arms and grabbed the knife from her pocket, tapping it against her forehead.

"I have a feeling that it's not just a thing your missing, but a person." He cleared his throat and put the knife away, standing up and running a hand through his hair.

"But no matter! All subjects of importance shall come to light when it is time. Hale, come along now. I'll get McKale on this task immediately!"

Mason nodded and hurried after Bright, who had opened the door and stepped from the room. D just sat there in shock as the door then closed, and Bright cast one last knowing glance at her.

Huh.

MKCYDTHFVBXFM<HGJ<VCBXNFDGHKYJHCVBHCBXNGHBV<GKUYFTDGRJTHFVNCGH

Holy shit ok ok ok. Lots for y'all to unpack. Lemme see them theories

Anyway, point out any mistakes or don't, I don't really care :P