4

Mason kept glancing back at D as they walked down the hallway. She didn't mind, saying how she was about to meet an SCP that was classified as Keter. Her heart was hammering in her chest, and butterflies were flapping around in her gut.

She was exhilarated. Adrenaline pumped in her veins, and a large grin refused to abandon her face. Keter. This thing is Keter. Her thoughts kept spinning like that until at last, they reached a stop at a door that looked just like the rest in the building.

Mason took a deep breath and rubbed his face. He opened his mouth to say something, but then closed it again. D stayed silent, growing impatient to see the creature known as SCP-106.

"Look," Mason said at last. "I haven't known you long, D, but you are a very... unique person. I wish that I didn't have to do this to you. I'm sorry." his voice wavered, and a look of guilt took hold of him.

D fought the urge to laugh, and instead, she started tapping her foot. Mason cast another glance at her, before sliding a card in a slot next to the door, and making it open. The room that it led to was huge, and when D stepped in she found out she was standing on a balcony-like structure, which overlooked what seemed to be a giant metal cube.

"That's 106's containment," Mason said, leading her down the balcony and to a staircase. "Many know it as the Femur Breaker." he winced as he said the words, going silent. D was at once interested. "Why do they call it that?" she asked, unable to keep the joy from her voice.

Mason stopped. He opened his mouth to ask something, but then closed it. "I-" he took a breath. She could tell he had never had to do this before. "They call it that because when 106 breaches, we use lure subjects to bring it back. But we have to broadcast sounds of pain for 106 to become interested, so we normally break a bone such as a femur."

His voice was a mix of discomfort and confusion. D was unfazed. "Is that what you're going to do with me?"  Mason shook his head. "Currently 106 is in a dormant state. They have decided to use you as prey... for when it comes out of the dormant state."

He shuddered and rubbed his face again, but D's smile only became wider. "Prey. So then he eats people?" Mason half-nodded. "I'm not completely sure.... but I do know that it enjoys people around your age. That's why they chose you specifically." 

D nodded and began walking again, her entire body buzzing with excitement. He doesn't know. But then again- I don't know yet. What she believed she knew was the thing that made this whole thing so brilliant. It made her feel like she wasn't at all what they thought she was.

It made her feel special. Different. And soon enough they would see that... she hoped.

A nagging fear bubbled up in her thoughts but she squashed it. She couldn't afford to doubt this now. It may just cost her. And she wouldn't be able to pay. So she kept her confident demeanor and reached the bottom of the staircase, Mason just behind her.

He led her to the gate of a fence that surrounded where the giant metal cube should have touched the ground. But it didn't. it floated as if by magic, behind held erectly stiff by nothing. "Magnets are holding it up," Mason explained, stepping back. 

"I'll go up to the control room and turn them off. When the Femur Breaker is stable on the ground I need you to go through the gate and inside. Inside will be dizzying and confusing. It's a maze. You seem capable enough to get through it, but you don't have to. As long as you stay inside." 

And with that, he was going up the stairs, and after a few minutes a large buzz sounded, and the giant metal cube slowly descended. When it was resting on the tile floor, D opened the gate and stepped up to it. There was a door, which after a moment slid open. D stepped through and it hissed closed behind her.

She was now in a very thin hallway made entirely of metal, and after a moment the ground shook and she felt like she was in an elevator going up. When the feeling had subsided, D began to walk to the left. Bright lights were flashing from nowhere and she felt a bit dizzy.

But she kept walking, taking many random turns for what felt like an hour. Until at last, she stepped into a room that was maybe five feet by five feet. In the middle of the room was what looked like a person- at first. Its skin was a dull brown-red, and looked like it was peeling.

Its arms were at its sides, looking gnarled and dead, with a bony structure and gaping holes in the flesh. It had no hair, but a dark substance dripped from the tips of its fingers and puddled around its misshapen feet.

Its face was ripped and torn, with its misshapen jaw twisted in a crooked smile. Its eyes- if you could even call them eyes- were dark and blank, with no light to them. D couldn't tell if there was even anything there... they were just pitch-black. 

D stepped up to it, curious. This thing is Keter. It should kill me. She thought on that. But Mason said it was dormant. It should be safe for now-

And as the thought entered her brain, the creature blinked. D smiled and took a step back as it slowly moved its arms, flexing each warped finger. With a grunt, it turned to her. It seemed startled, but then it took a step towards her.

She knew one thing immediately.

They were about to play a little cat-and-mouse.

I love this omg. I love D. SO MUCH. KVRKRVKJHVRDJHJRV

I wrote this in two hours so I hope you like it.

Anyway, point out any mistakes or don't, I don't really care.