✰SIXTY-THREE✰

I truly don't think you guys understand how much I love you. Life is so shite, but then I open my notifications and see your comments...it gives me hope that there is some sort of happiness left in this shitty world. Yes, it makes me cry, but not because I'm upset, but because I'm so incredibly lucky. When I started this book I always assumed that it would get reads due to the limited amount of jegulus books there actually are out there, but this...I never, for one second, expected this. I literally keep screenshots of comments to make me smile when I really need it.

There aren't words to express my gratefulness. Thank you. That's all I have. Keep being you, you beautiful angels, because you are what this world needs.

LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH xx

(CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED SINCE ORIGINAL PUBLISH)

_____________________

✰ And Regulus was an

everlasting perfection

to James ✰

_____________________

James shut the dorm door carefully, not wanting to break the hinges any more than the group already had, and jogged down the spiral staircase of which led to the common room. It was rather empty at this time, most people either in their dorms or out in the courtyard. A few fifth years played Exploding Snap around a table, Marlene and Dorcas were cuddling in an armchair, Dorcas braiding Marlene's hair and Peter was challenging a very bored-looking Mary to a competitive game of chess. Remus and Lily sat on the floor, leaning their backs against the sofas, surrounded by books and parchment and notes and quills. Even looking at the scene gave James a headache. Lily sent him a soft smile and a wave when she caught his gaze, Remus nodding at him in greeting. Of course, Lily was nice to him now. He chuckled under his breath. All those years of pining after her, and the only time she's kind to him is when he moves on and gets a boyfriend.

"You just gonna stand there or are y' gonna join us, Prongs?" Marlene teased, moving slightly. This movement earned her a fierce slap from Dorcas.

"Stop moving." Marlene huffed but did as she was told.

"She does have a point though, mate. Get over here." Remus said, not looking up from his book. Peter pulled a chair out of the corner and placed it beside him at the chessboard for James to sit down. He complied, sitting down for no longer than ten minutes, watching Mary consistently lose.

"Urgh! I give up. It's James' turn!" With a roll of his eyes, James swapped seats with the curly-haired girl and put on his furrowed eyebrows concentration face.

October 16th 1977. The day of the Gryfinddor vs Hufflepuff Quidditch match. James had been preparing for this day since they had arrived back at Hogwarts. Hufflepuff had a good team, a really good team, they were becoming hard to beat. James had faith in his team, though, and so did Regulus.

"As much as I hate Gryfinddor," Regulus started, pushing James' lost strand of hair out of his eyes, "I hope you win." James chuckled, tracing his thumb over Regulus' hand.

"Thank you, Reggie. I love ya'." Regulus giggled and stuffed his face into the crook of his boyfriend's neck.

"Love you too, twat."

***

James soared on his broom, directly beside the Hufflepuff Chaser, dodging the constant Bludgers heading in his direction. Out of the corner he watched as his Seeker and the Hufflepuff seeker chased after the golden speck, the Hufflepuff's hand clasping around it mere seconds before the Gryfinddor.

"HUFFLEPUFF WINS!" Milo called out to the screaming crowds. Hufflepuff cheered and Gryfinddor booed. Most of the Ravenclaws cheered for Hufflepuff, but with a frown, James scanned the stands and found a grumpy looking Allie with her cheek against her fist, the only one who was sat down. An older girl next to her, Sybill, was also stood up cheering...well, that is until Allie grabbed her by the sleeve and pulled her to sit down.

James chuckled, though still mad, and looked over to the Slytherin stands. This was the moment he spotted a head of black, fluffy hair sending a sad smile in his direction. Regulus knew how much Quidditch meant to James, how much passion he possessed for it. It was like Bailey - obsession. They were incredibly happy when they won and unhealthily upset when they lost. This was the start of a week without the Big-Ego-Potter, yet no matter how much he denied it, Regulus loved when James was sad.

It made of him think of the upcoming evening. An upset face was hidden in his chest and cuddles all night long. Puppy eyes and sweet kisses. It was always the way.

***

Regulus sat on James' bed with his legs crossed and his hands clasped in his lap as he read the book of which was open on the bedding in front of him. James let out a small chuckle as he painted.

"I don't understand how you can read about fancy princes and knights in shining armour when I'm your boyfriend. I am much more handsome." Regulus rolled his eyes, sensing James' smirk even though his back was turned towards him. He stood up, almost silently, with the intention of scaring his lover. He was about to shout 'boo' but stopped when he was nothing but a foot away from him. A blossom branch. That is what the boy had been painting. A beautiful variation of pinks and browns and greens swirling and flowing and falling.

James noticed the boy behind him and twisted his whole body around to look at him, placing his hands on Reg's hips.

"Everything okay? It's not that bad, is it? My mother's favourite trees are blossoms, she loves them. I thought that if I sent her this she might cheer up a bit." James frowned, his forehead creasing as Regulus' eyes watched the painting with a deep concentration.

Effie had been ill since they had left in September with no improvements over the month. It clearly was not a cold. Maybe the St Mungo's hospital did know what was wrong with her, maybe they didn't, but either way, Fleamont refused to give his son any details. He wrote consistent letters, informing James of his mother's health, but never in detail. James just wanted her to be okay.

"I'm sure she'll love it," Regulus mumbled, tugging his eyes away from the canvas to stare into James' eyes. He could feel James' warm fingertips against his waist, his knee against his own. It felt wrong for Regulus to be capable of beholding such a masterpiece. James was an utter masterpiece. No matter how many paintings he painted or how many sketches Regulus drew, nothing would ever compare to the soft curves of his jaw and nose. The flushed pink on the very tip of his nose, or the upturned edges of his lips. His lips.

Regulus leaned forward and attached their lips in a comforting manner. He could have said that he loved him, but there was no need, their lips said it all.

James pulled his hips closer until Regulus was straddling him. It was not sexual, not at all, merely loving. Caring.

This was how most nights went for Regulus and James. Writing, drawing, painting, staring, kissing. Art. Such wonderful art. Art is such a broad word. Art is a feeling. Pain. Hope. Love. Whatever you want art to be, it will be. James was a masterpiece to Regulus. And Regulus was an everlasting perfection to James. Art.

_____________________

✰ And Regulus was an

everlasting perfection

to James ✰

_____________________