Chapter 18: The Mercenaries

Start from the beginning

His words didn't sound harsh, it sounded like he actually cared. Someone else might've assured him that they wouldn't get hurt again. But me being me, I couldn't help and tease, which is exactly what I did. "Aww, does the metal man care for me?"

Mando remained silent as he continued to patch up my wound. My heart clenched. Did I say something wrong? Of course you did, now is not the time to tease him. After what felt like a long while, Mando replied. "I do, mesh'la, more than you know."

I smiled, touched by his words. My heart skipped a beat. What did that word mean? With that in mind, I responded. "Uh, what does that word mean?"

Mando went silent for several moments. Then, when he answered, he had changed the subject. "We have to be more careful. Bounty hunters will be after both the kid and you."

I still didn't understand how these bounty hunters found me. Fennec said that my mother, Deara was searching for me, but that can't be. She's dead. Father told me that she died along with many other Alderaanians when the planet was destroyed.

"How did they find me? Know about me?" I questioned.

Mando shook his head. "I don't know. But we can't use your birth name anymore, at least not in public."

I nodded. "I understand...What's our next move?"

I noticed Mando hesitated, remaining silent. I placed a hand over one of his. "Mando, you know you can tell me anything, right?"

And that was enough to get him to open up. "We need credits, but we can't do any Guild work. I know a place...but it's dangerous, he's a mercenary."

I've dealt with mercenaries before, some were better than others. So I understood what he meant.

"Can we trust him?" I questioned.

"No." He replied, causing me to tense up, which he immediately noticed. "But don't worry, I've got everything under control."

Once we landed at the station, R8 remained in the ship with the child, while Mando and I walked through the station, which was filled with people, working behind machines or with tools, and tables filled with equipment. I remained calm, following Mando's lead. As we walked past them, many stared at us. At that moment, a man with long gray hair and a matching beard approached us. "Mando, is that you under that bucket?"

"Ran." Mando greeted.

"I didn't really know if I'd ever see you in these parts again. Good to see you." The man named Ran mentioned. "You know to be honest, I was a bit surprised when you reached out to me. You know, 'cause I hear things...like maybe things between you and the Guild aren't workin' out."

My heart clenched. Was he onto us? I tried to remain calm as I stood beside Mando, staying quiet. Mando responded with ease. "I'll be fine."

"Okay, well, you know the policy. No questions. And you, you're welcome back here anytime." Ran commented. He then noticed me as he turned to face me. "And who's this?"

"This is Miranda Rambeau, a friend of mine." Mando said, introducing me. "Mandy, this is Ran."

I extended out a hand, shaking Ran's hand. Ran wore a chilling smile that send a shiver up my spine. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Any friend of Mando is a friend of mine."

"So, what's the job?" Mando asked, changing the subject.

"One of our associates ran afoul of some competitors and got himself caught. So, I'm puttin' together a crew to spring him. It's a five person job. I got four. All I need is the ride, and you brought it." Ran explained.