Chapter 3: The Mission

My heart dropped at her words. I had a bad feeling about what she'd tell me. I let out a shaky sigh, trying to keep it together. "How's she doing?"

"I think you should come here right now." Dr. Harley advised.

"I'm on my way." I replied, before hanging up.

At that moment, R8 came into my office, letting out a few beeps. R8 resembled the astromech, R2-D2, from Star Wars. One day, I asked how I got R8, and my mom told me I loved Star Wars so much that I decided to build my own atromech. I looked over at R8.

"We need to go to the hospital, R8. It's mom, she needs us." I informed him.

R8 gave me an affirmative beep, prepared to follow me to the hospital. Once we arrived, I rushed towards mom's room. As soon as I found her room, I rushed inside. Mom lied on the bed dressed in a hospital gown. I sat down in the chair beside her. She weakly turned her head towards me. Mom looked awful. There were dark circles under her eyes. Her eyes lit up when she saw me. "Mandy..."

My heart clenched to see her like this. She raised a hand towards me. I gently grabbed her hand, giving her a smile. "Mom. How are you feeling?"

I could feel her pain, radiating off of her. Mom grimaced. "I'm not gonna lie to you, Mandy. I'm not feeling so great."

"It's all right, mom. There are days where you won't feel well, but that doesn't mean that this is the end." I mentioned.

Mom hesitated upon hearing my words. "Mandy, S.W.O.R.D....needs a new leader."

I shook my head. "No mom, S.W.O.R.D. has you. You will pull through this. You beat cancer once, you'll do it again."

I noticed mom glance over, looking at R8. She looked deep in thought. For a while she didn't speak. And when mom did, she croaked. "You and I both know that won't happen. I'm not going to make it...Go to Hayward, tell him that I said, 'it's time.' He'll tell you the truth."

I raised an eyebrow. "The truth?"

"...About your parents." Mom explained.

I was taken back by her words. What did she mean? She said my real parents were dead. I shook my head.

"You're my mom. I have no other parents." I argued.

"No, your parents are alive, Mandy." She replied. She then forced a smile. "I love you very much, my little sunshine, don't you forget that."

My lip quivered as I returned her smile. "I love you too, mom."

"S.W.O.R.D. needs you. They need you to be the next director." Mom uttered out. "Be....strong, Mandy...be brave. I'm so sorry...for keeping certain things from you, I just wanted to protect you the best I could. Fly away, my little butterfly..."

Her eyelids grew heavy as her grip around my hand weakened. My heart clenched as tears filled my eyes. Mom looked at me one last time before she closed her eyes. On the monitor, I heard a beeping sound. I dared to look over at the monitor, seeing a flat line on the screen. Tears streamed down my eyes as I looked back at mom. I then felt nothing as I clutched her hand.

"No! Mom!" I cried. "No! Mom, come back! Please! I need you!"

Dr. Harley rushed into the room, approaching my side. She placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Mandy. But she's gone. Your mom's not coming back."

•••

A week after mom died, a funeral was held. I organized the funeral and spoke in front of everyone on behalf of Monica and for me. The family and close friends attended the funeral. How I wish Monica was here for this. I returned to S.W.O.R.D. headquarters the following day. I stormed directly into Hayward's office, finding Hayward on the phone with his feet up on his desk. R8 arrived, standing by my side. Hayward was taken back to see me.