Chapter 15: The Bounty Hunter

Start from the beginning

"Can I set you something in the house?" Omera inquired, looking over at Mando.

"Uh, thank you. Maybe later." Mando mentioned.

"He's very happy here." Omera commented, referring to Mando.

"He is." Mando confirmed.

Omera gave Mando a smile. "Fits right in."

With that she walked off. Once she was far from us. Cara spoke up, gesturing to his helmet. "So, what happens if you take that thing off? They come after you and kill you?"

"No, you just can't ever put it back on again." Mando explained.

Cara looked unimpressed, raising an eyebrow. "That's it? So you can slip off the helmet, and settle down with that beautiful young widow, and raise your kid sitting here, sipping spotchka?"

My heart dropped her words. As I glanced over at Mando, I thought of him here with Omera, Winta, and the child as a family. The thought of that happening was like a knife to the heart, and I don't know why I felt this way, Mando and I are just friends. Besides Mando deserves to be with someone like Omera, who can provide a simple yet safe life. The more he sticks around me, the more dangerous it is for him...and for the child as well. Aida's words echoed in my head. "And let's not forget Miranda, the one who trouble and danger always seems to follow her."

She was right...Danger and trouble always follow me...I was so caught up with my thoughts that I didn't even realize that Mando's helmet was turned towards me. My eyes fell on his helmet. I mentally cursed. I hated that I couldn't see his face, the only way I could know what was going on in that rust bucket of his when I was touching his hand or his shoulder. I quickly turned my head, so I wasn't looking at him.

"You know, we raised some hell here a few weeks back. It's too much action for a backwater town like this. Word travels fast. We might wanna cycle the charts and move on." Mando pointed out.

"Would not wanna be the one who's gotta tell him." Cara commented.

"I'm leaving him here. Traveling with me, that's no life for a kid. I did my job, he's safe. Better chance at a life." Mando explained.

Upon hearing his words, my eyes widened. Cara looked over at him, rather baffled. "Come on. Come on. It's gonna break his little heart."

"He'll get over it. We all do." Mando retorted. He then called out my name. "Mandy?"

Reluctantly, I dared to look over at him. I had a feeling, a bad feeling that I knew what he was about to tell me. No doubt, he wanted to remain here with the child, which is why I was here in the first place, but upon getting to know Mando better, the more difficult it was to part ways from one another. He's a good man, and he has been a good friend to me, having my back. I noticed how he hesitated before speaking. "I know you're close to the kid...You and R8 should stay here with him, keep him out of trouble." 

I fought the urge to let out a laugh. If only he knew that Monica and I were both called double trouble...I mentally shook my head as I responded. "And what about you?"

"I'll find a place to lay low." He assured me.

"So you're just gonna leave us? And what about being there for me, huh? What happened to we're in this together? Did you forget that." I reminded him.

"Of course not, but none of you are safe with me. If you all continue to follow me, I will put your lives at risk." Mando shot back.

I clenched my fists, taking a step towards Mando. "You aren't the only one with danger following them, Mando. I've lived a life full of danger, it's part of my work."