VII. Peridot

It would be delusional to think the two bastards may recede. 

Kurapika certainly did not have such a false hope, but he also did not expect to erupt over a single move of his contenders. Not in a million years.

Still, a rage burned when he heard Dahly scream in the assault, so he rushed over, yanked the tactless hands off her, and stood in between.

"Dahly, are you hurt?"

"Kurapika!" Dahly called in relief.

Kurapika shot the unwelcomed men with a sharp glare, daring them to touch her again. He was going to watch over the situation in stealth, but, on a second thought, it was spurring up a mistake. Thank goodness that he came in time because a lot could have happened.

"Are you skunks or what? Do you not understand human language?" Different from his usual speaking, Kurapika lowered his voice. He despised the two men. "She said she was not available. Leave!"

"Who the heck are you? Mind your own business!"

The light-haired one was arrogant. What an epitome of a goodfella in gangs. He threw a fist at Kurapika, and the latter blocked it with bare hands.

Easy.

For hunters, fighting was an instinct. No matter how furious Kurapika was, his discernment was clear in combat. Years of experience told him that his opponent was not a complete novice. To be on the safe side, he ordered Dahly to stay close.

"This is my final warning." He spoke in an august yet cold voice, and he clenched the man's fist, not allowing him to withdraw. However, the other party did not want to give in, either. They assumed a fighting stance.

"So a sissy wants to be the hero." The man spitted, sizing up Kurapika brashly. "How righteous. What a decent guardian unlike the bad guys."

Did they just presume the position of villains? How stupid were these people? Or did they really think they could win?

Kurapika wondered what made them so confident.

"I can't imagine how you arrived at that conclusion, but my advice is to work on your judgement because I am stronger."

This statement ended the prelude to bloodshed. Here came the real deal.

Kurapika swept the floor, tripping the light-haired man over. It happened so fast that even his shadow was invisible. Immediately, he suppressed the guy using the force of fall and held a hand over his trachea. One quick thrust. The man lost consciousness.

The victory came a little too quickly. Now the remaining man was in shock. He realized that he was in trouble, so he hurriedly pulled a phone out. 

Kurapika knew he was calling other gang members to help. It was so apparent that even the trembling Dahly behind noticed.

"They are not just picking up girls. They are human traffickers working for the gangs here." She whispered in his ear.

The local gang? No wonder they were snobby and weak.

"Scums." A snort of disdain.

Kurapika took off his jacket and draped it on Dahly's empty shoulders.

Very well. No need to reserve anymore.

These scums were no more than filth to Kurapika, but he did not want them to target Dahly in the future. Therefore, he must teach them some manners that can only be learned through pain. Unforgettable pain.

"Dahly, you should hide now." He ordered and folded up the sleeves of his shirt. He was ready for a full on fight.

The girl was disinclined. She looked at him unbelievably, but he only returned a firm eye.