one ten - not over

Start bij het begin

“Man, this is so annoying,” Sasaki was suddenly in front of the cheetah-like player, stopping him in his tracks. “I’m actually kinda pissed right now.”

“Huh?” Hayama bounced the ball next to himself, passing between his legs a few times to try and get Sasaki to move or react. He didn’t, at all. “Wait, are you for real?” He squinted at him.

“Yeah,” He blinked, and sparks flowed from his eyes. “So come at me.”

Riko stood up in shock when she saw Sasaki take the ball from Hayama, cross the court, and slam it into the basket in less than three seconds. Jaws dropped around the stadium as Akashi and Sasaki locked gazes. “The Zone, huh?”

“There’s no point in reading your thoughts anymore, so I thought I’d step it up a notch just to keep things even,” The azurette replied.

“From the looks of things, you might have to do everything yourself, you know,” The other Akashi narrowed his heterochromic eyes. “And you—”

“It’ll be fine,” Sasaki smiled softly, but behind that smile was a whole lot of turbulence. Only those that knew him intimately enough to see through his persona would see it, but he soon let some cracks show. “Just because I have been a team-oriented player doesn’t mean I can’t do things by myself. I’m sure you understand that notion, right Seiji?”

“…That I do,” The heterochromic Akashi nodded.

The next play, Kuroko ended up fouling Hayama, and everyone that hadn’t seen it before was seeing it now: Everyone besides Sasaki was practically at their physical limits. Meanwhile, Rakuzan’s physical conditions continued to improve.

The difference is too great. It’s no use. It’s over. Sasaki could practically hear what the bench was thinking as their faces dropped, doom and acceptance on their faces. It’s a six point difference, Sasaki grit his teeth. It’s not the end of the fucking world-

“You can do it, Kuroko! Don’t give up!” Some rando screamed. As Sasaki was trying to figure out where it had come from, his eyes were drawn to Kuroko, who had a misty eyed look on his face as he looked up at one of the bleacher entrances. “You can do it, Kuroko!” The dude yelled again, and this time Sasaki could actually see him.

The azurette was tempted to make him shut up, but he didn’t want to waste the effort of going into the zone to get back out of it just to do that.

“Ogiwara-kun..” Kuroko’s voice shook, his eyes wide. Oh, so that’s the dude that quit basketball because of Seiji, Sasaki glanced over at his lover, who was also looking at the Ogiwara person.

“That’s him?” Kagami jerked his head to face him as well.

Then, the dude suddenly crouched down, grabbed something and held it up. I have never seen Kuroko’s face brighten up like that, Sasaki thought to himself as Ogiwara held a basketball with a huge grin. Bruh, is this dude happy crying in the middle of a game? The azurette deadpanned. “Well, guess I can’t really blame him with all that he’s been through.”

“Oi, Tetsu! Kagami! Aya!” Aomine suddenly stood up and yelled. “You beat us! If you don’t beat Rakuzan, I’ll kill you!”

“Aomine..” Kagami looked at him with wide eyes, his face plain to read.

“Just so you know, so will I!” Kise joined in. “Win, Seirin!”

“Beat Akashi!” Midorima yelled, surprising Takao, who was beside him. “Beat Rakuzan!”

“Don’t give up, Seirin!”

“Seirin! Seirin! Seirin!” All the teams they had beaten chanted; everyone that had helped them joined as well; soon, all spectators were drawn into cheering for the dark horse of the Winter Cup. The players looked around the stadium, startled and touched at the monumental amount of support.

Kuroko wiped his eyes, and the Seirin boys were back and ready to go. “It wouldn’t be interesting otherwise,” Akashi smirked, looking smug and pleased. Sasaki almost rolled his eyes.

“Kuroko,” Kagami suddenly spoke up softly. “Cheers really lift you up, don’t they?”

“Yes,” He replied. I suppose I'll let those two go out with a bang, Sasaki thought as he brought himself out of the Zone.

“Alright Kaga-teme, I guess I’ll do you a favor,” Sasaki mused as he walked up to him, standing so that they were side by side.

“Wha—” The redhead went to turn to try and figure out what the azurette was up to, only for him to find out as his rib was imploded by Sasaki’s elbow, causing him to stumble over. “What the hell’s—” He broke off, his eyes widening as he was suddenly standing in front of the second door inside the zone.

Kagami slowly but surely lifted his gaze to look at Sasaki. “You?”

“Mhmm,” The azurette hummed. It had taken him a while, but he’d finally figured it out. The person guarding the door was revealed to be the same person standing in front of him, but that was not all. As he opened the doors for Kagami, revealing the team behind them, something else came to mind.

He’s always been able to control the Zone, Kagami thought, his whole power set is related to the mind and body, and he’s so good it’s almost impossible. Not to mention I’ve heard he used to be a legend in another sport. I might be reading too much into this, but—

No, you’re right, Sasaki and Kagami maintained eye contact, but it felt to Kagami like he was drowning in his friend’s eyes.

I am the Zone.