Chapter 1: Assigned

FLASHBACK:

Izaya, t-there's something wrong with that child...

~

PRESENT TIME:

I was starting my new job at an asylum today. Tom-san said it would be good for me. Ever since I got fired from being a bartender, Tom-san just keeps on giving me application forms for different jobs. I still work as a bodyguard for him though, but he told me to find a job to fill up my free time.

The applications just kept on piling at one point so I just chose a random one from the batch and filled it out. Apparently, I just happened to choose to be a ward for some patient at an asylum. Great, taking care of someone isn't exactly one of my strengths. Let's just see who I'll get paired up with.

~

I awkwardly open the entrance door to the asylum, inside I see workers and patients, both got along quiet well. A guy that looked like he was in his late 50's came up to me and greeted me.

"Hello!" He said in a cheery voice.

"Are you the director- er boss or something like that?" I tilted my head.

He gave a lighthearted chuckle, "Yes I am, you can call me Mr. K, and you must be Heiwajima Shizuo."

I nodded my head in approval.

"Well come this way, I'll show you to the interview room,"  Mr K. lead me to a door.

We go inside and I take my sunglasses off. I sat on an orange plastic chair. Mr K. passed by a desk and sat on a much comfier looking chair. He leaned on the chair, crossed his legs and linked his hands together.

"Can you tell me little about yourself?" He questioned.

"I am Heiwajima Shizuo, you can call me whatever, I have superhuman strength. I have a younger brother who works as an actor, but is incapable of human emotions. I work as a bodyguard for a tax collector, but I used to work as a bartender before."

"And why did you want to work here?"

"I didn't, I just happened to picked to work in an asylum by chance."

"Well to me, this is fate."

"Eh?"

"I think I have just the right person you can take care of!"

Mr. K sat up straighter and struggled to reach a file cabinet. I don't blame him, he was a foot and a half shorter than me, and from the looks of it, he doesn't do too much exercise. He finally opens it and takes a file out. He lays it flat on the desk and opens it, the file was overfilled with massive amounts of paper. Each paper either had stuff highlighted or had a sticky note on, or both. From the top right corner, a picture held by a paperclip was attached there.

"This is Orihara Izaya," Mr. K pointed at the picture, "From what I read from your application form I think he's the same age as you."

I examined the picture, this guy had raven black hair and very light skin. His eyes were sharp, but he smiled smugly in the picture.

"As you can tell, he's quite a problem," Mr. K spread his arms out and shrugged.

"Uhh yeah," I responded.

"You see, Orihara-san started killing at a young age," he sighs with a distressed face.

I panicked a little, well, maybe a lot. Was I supposed to be taking care of a murderer?

"Dont worry though, he hasn't suffered from abuse or anything," he assured me.

Was that supposed to make me feel better? I just wanted to know if I'd be safe if I worked with him, well considering the fact that I have survived every injury I've taken in as a child, it won't make a big difference. But it'd be a pain to come home and treat the cuts and scars if Orihara-san were to injure me.