spring five, year one

two

Delilah had worked tirelessly on the farm over the past few days, pushing herself to absolute exhaustion sometimes even by midday. No matter how tired the city girl was she always found time each day to search for the stranger whose emerald blazer had now been in her possession for four days. The blonde had searched most of Pelican Town with little luck.

Her final destination was the clinic, one she had been sat in front of for the last hour or so, too stubborn to move in hopes of reaching a long desired conclusion. "Uh, hello again." Delilah's surprise quickly turned into glee when the man she was searching for seemingly appeared out of nowhere. He helped her to her feet, taking the jacket that was immediately pressed into his hands. "Oh, thank you."

"Sorry it took so long." The blonde paused, picking at her dirtied fingernails absently. "I didn't catch your name the last time we spoke so I couldn't track you down and-" Delilah cut herself off once she realised she was spiralling into a ramble. Embarrassed, a chuckle left her lips as her cheeks burned their signature red. It didn't go unnoticed.

"Harvey."

"Delilah."

"Delilah..." The doctor paused in thought. "Like that one song!" Again, the expression that crossed the city girl's features was unmissable.

"Just Delilah will suffice, I don't need you serenading me." This time it was Harvey who was obviously displeased, his jovial manner immediately falling. "That was rude, I'm sorry."

Delilah wasn't quite sure how it happened given her social ineptitude, but she found herself inside Harvey's clinic, sat atop a hospital bed with the tall man pressing a stethoscope to her chest. He had talked her into having her first checkup while they both found themselves available and she reluctantly agreed. "Any issues you've noticed?"

"Yes actually." It felt strange to be so open with an acquaintance. "I never seem to have enough energy to do everything I want around the farm." Her leg bounced quickly as she spoke.

Harvey nodded. "What do you eat in a day?"

"Not much." Delilah admitted, biting her lip gently. "A meal in the evening. My mom used to cook for me back in the city." She shook her head lightly, it sounded silly a grown woman saying that.

The pair went on to share their love of coffee, especially the way it barely got them both through the day. "But seriously Delilah, I think eating more will be very beneficial for you." He finished with a smile, removing his gloves with a snap before turning away from the blonde.

"There is actually one more thing..." Harvey leant against the countertop, quirking an inquisitive brow at his patient. The bore of his dark eyes unnerved the city girl who had never much appreciated eye contact within her communication. He meant well, she knew that, caring yet unrelenting just like that first night of spring. "It's nothing." Delilah refused to meet the doctor's gaze as she dismounted the bed, silently apologetic that her dirty overalls had tainted the pristine furniture. He wanted to say something, she didn't need to see the way his mouth opened and closed with uncertainty.

"The saloon is usually empty at this time." Harvey began, knowing not to press the blonde further. He could have diagnosed her on the spot, but he didn't, Delilah wasn't ready. "Gus makes some great food...and coffee." With a curt nod the blonde thanked the doctor, pausing briefly just outside of the clinic to decide if she dared to venture into a place she considered to be off limits.

If Delilah had wanted a subtle entrance then her plan was ruined when a ding sounded just above her head. Immediately, a pair of eyes found her trembling figure, though the smile that followed was quick to give some relief. "Come in, come in!" The portly owner welcomed her inside without hesitation, even going so far as to pull out a barstool ready for her to sit upon. As directed, she sat. "I'm Gus, chef and owner of the Stardrop Saloon." His gestures were grand, as if stood in the middle of the big top at Grampleton Carnival, presenting the next act. Delilah appreciated the flare. "What can I do you for? Coffee? You seem like a coffee girl."

The man's charms were irresistible and so Delilah quickly found herself tucking into a steaming pile of pancakes accompanied by an equally satisfying cup of coffee. The farmer tried her best to be actively involved in the conversation but the food was just so good she truly struggled. Her relaxation was short lived, the familiar bell sounding behind her hunched over form. Delilah swallowed the stodgy pancake as best as she could, eyes wide with curiosity when the stranger wasn't instantly greeted by Gus just as she was. "Hey Gus and-" She knew her huddled form was almost unrecognisable at this point, wanting to make herself as small as possible. "-our brand new farmer! I can read it on your face, you're going to love it here in Pelican Town." The woman's spirit was as bright as her sapphire hair.

Emily continued her rambling while she readied herself and the bar for her upcoming shift. Gus had taken the opportunity to sneak out the back and Delilah was in two minds to join him. "You rushed out the other night before I got the chance to compliment you on your beautiful, sparkly blouse!" Delilah's blood ran cold at the mention of her first day outfit.

Swallowing thickly, she offered an explanation. "I felt a little overdressed." Emily nodded in understanding.

"I could make you some new stuff to wear. I'm just working at Gus' to make ends meet...but my real passion is tailoring." The blue haired woman was giddy with the thought of creating an entirely new wardrobe for the woman she had met merely thirty minutes ago. "Your city clothes are lovely!" Emily interjected, seeing the grimace on Delilah's face.

"Thanks for the offer, but I don't really have the means for that." Her answer was unintentionally cold as she fished into the pocket of her grandfather's baggy overalls, pulling out enough coins to pay Gus for the service.

Before she even had chance to place them atop the bar a voice rang out. "On the house Delilah, just this once." He added with a wink, simultaneously handing across an aromatic bag. Delilah eyed its contents curiously. "Spaghetti, family recipe." She opened her mouth to protest. "Just. This. Once."

The blonde couldn't argue with the man and so, with a quiet wave and a pep in her step, she made her way back to the farm.

Delilah had all the energy in the world that evening. It was the best she had felt all week. Gus and Emily were great company she concluded, despite her initial reservations about the latter, she had found peace in a place she had been quick to label as off limits.

The city girl slept well on that cool spring night.

ʟᴀᴛᴇʀs ʙᴀʙʏ.