41 : g o o d b y e s

Start from the beginning

A silence fell over the crowd of humans. They understood what the White Dragon wasn't wanting to interrupt, but most of them were unaware that the Phoenix Slayer was not mourning alongside her brother. Gray, Erza, and Lucy averted their eyes as each of their minds went to their own thoughts about what had happened. Some were concerned with the Fire Dragon Slayer that they knew was alone except for the company of a certain blue Exceed, but one couldn't shake the realization that someone he grew up with could have secretly been a demon.

Though her heart wanted to break, Amber smiled softly, "I'll make sure she knows."

The four great beasts smiled or nodded at her words as they began to glow.

"We've only told you a fraction of what we would if there were time, but I'm afraid there's not. This is goodbye, Wendy."

The bluette's voice cracked, "You're leaving me?"

"Sweet girl." Grandeeney looked at the young girl with such tenderness in her eyes, "The road you'll face is fraught with peril. But I've seen you gain the strength to walk it."

"No, I can't, Grandeeney." Wendy pleaded, "Not without you!"

She paused as a hand landed on her head, its owner looking up at the ascending dragons, "Let's see them off, kid. With our heads held high."

"Farewell, Humans." The Sky Dragon addressed them all, "Once, very long ago, there was terrible strife between our kind and yours. It warms my heart to know that in the end, we part in friendship."

Weisslogia and Skiadrum spoke as well.

"The era of dragons has ended. We leave this world for you to protect."

"The power of man shall pave the future, for that we are thankful."

Then Grandeeney took over again "Four hundred years ago, a Magna Carta was made between human and dragon-kind. Now, though we are leaving, we shall not forsake it! We dragons shall continue to watch over you! Forever!"

"Please don't leave me!" Tears fell from Wendy's eyes as her mother faded into the rising light.

"I love you Wendy. Always."

Metalicana watched Gajeel, "You should get that face checked out."

"Way to ruin the moment, ya old rustbucket!" The metalhead yelled before letting his shoulders relax. "I'll miss you, too."

The Twin Dragons both watched their fathers beginning fading as well, looks of gratitude and peace on their features.

"Weisslogia. Thanks for everything."

"Rest well."

||~x~||

Igneel's body began to glow.

"You can't be gone."

A sigh sounded in Natsu's mind, "Cut it out with the damn waterworks, will you? Come on, Natsu. I taught you what to do when you feel like this. Have you forgotten?"

He rubbed his sleeve against his eyes, "I remember."

"Then prove it. Get on your feet."

"Kay." Natsu slowly pushed himself to his feet.

"Your sister is strong. She will come back to you." Igneel paused, "I have been with you every step of the way, and nothing has made me more proud than seeing what you've done. Keep growing. Know that I'll always live in your heart. Show me the fire that burns within you."