The Shapes of Things

Start from the beginning

Susato smiled a bit shakily. She moved her hand away from Barok's and tentatively placed it on the dog's muzzle. Now that she was less panicked, she realised the dog did look rather old, grey flecking the darkness of his fur. But his eyes were bright and he was clearly still well-muscled. Balmung stepped closer. Susato found herself carefully bending down, petting both sides of his face. Balmung licked her cheek. She cried out in surprise and lurched away.

"Balmung likes you," Barok said.

"He's absolutely enchanted," Klint said.

It appeared to be true. Balmung was staring up at her, his paws stamping the ground excitedly.

"He looks so fierce and powerful," Susato said warily.

"Only if you're a tiny rabbit," Lady Baskerville said, smiling brightly. "And speaking of small game, you should get these to the kitchen!"

"Yes, my lady. Can I do anything else for you? Perhaps I should roll out a carpet beneath your feet or lay gold beneath your every step," Klint said.

"Oh, now that would be quite lovely," Lady Baskerville replied, and the two began to walk away, towards the manor, leaving Susato and Barok alone with the dog.

"Balmung only hunts small game. But you would scarce believe it looking at him. He is well known among our circles for being a giant. However, he is very gentle and sociable," Barok said.

Balmung barked. Susato flinched.

"Balmung, you are making our esteemed guest uncomfortable," Barok chastised. Balmung lunged at him. Barok caught him and hit the ground, letting out a laugh as the dog licked his face. "Exercise more caution! You are not as young as you used to be, my old friend," he said.

Susato's heart clenched in terror, then relaxed, beating warmly as she watched them. There was something frightfully endearing about the whole scene.

Barok pushed the hound away and stood. Balmung barked again and circled around him, then ran towards Susato and pushed his nose into her hand. She smiled and stroked his face. He sat down by her feet and leaned against her side, placated.

Susato peered up at Barok, her smile growing large and bright. "He is very sweet."

"He is very taken with you. I fear we may be scarce able to remove him from your side," Barok said, and fixed her with a soft smile.

Susato's heart warmed further.

"Did you have a nice day on the town with my sister-in-law?" Barok said, voice gentle and quiet.

Susato nodded, her pulse beating slightly off-tempo. "I did, yes. We had a wonderful time together. Lady Baskerville is such a kind woman."

"She certainly is," Barok said. He whistled. Balmung reluctantly moved away from Susato's side and took off running towards the house. Barok began to walk, and Susato fell in step with him. "This manor was lonely before Lady Baskerville arrived."

"Lord Klint van Zieks is the owner of the manor," Susato said tentatively.

"Yes. He and our governess were responsible for raising me from a young age," Barok said. "We lost our parents some ten years ago."

"I'm sorry. That must have been so lonely," Susato said.

"I fear you have been quite lonely as well, have you not, Miss Mikotoba?" Barok said.

"I have. My mother passed in childbirth, and my father left the moment I was born." She could feel Barok's stare upon her face, even as she kept her own eyes lowered. "My obaachan, my grandmother, she raised me. As did Genshin-sama and his family. He has a son that I have always seen as my brother, even though we are not related by blood."