22

A couple of days after the last time she had seen Carina, Maya found herself going back home after a shift that had lasted longer than expected, and although she was tired from barely holding herself up, she couldn't deny that she loved the feeling she had immediately after realizing that if it hadn't been for her and her team, many people would have lost their lives a few hours earlier.

That day however hadn't started off in the best of ways, her car had so graciously decided to stop working, which made Maya late for work to take her car to a mechanic, it was funny to think that just when Maya had lost a few hours of work she found herself working a long shift, while Andy didn't think it was a coincidence because situations like that happened a lot, but that wouldn't stop her from using what had happened as an excuse to make fun of her best friend.

"Admit it, you planned it all just because you wouldn't accept having to work a few hours less," the Latina joked, walking with the blonde to the entrance of the building which was lit by a cold white light and some colored ones because in a few weeks the holidays would start and for some reason, some people felt obliged to start decorating the whole city as early as mid-November.

"I couldn't do that, that wouldn't be nice of me at all," Maya answered her seriously, reaching for her house key in one of the small pockets that made her black and orange backpack so unique, she had been carrying that for years now, she cherished it for some reason.

"You're right, you're right..." the brunette began, then stopping her best friend by the arm as she was about to go into the building, which left Maya confused.

"What?"

"Doctor," the word did nothing but confuse Maya again, but when Andy made a "typically Italian" gesture with her right hand, Maya immediately knew she was talking about Carina.

"Again...what?"

"I know what you said to each other, what do you want to do with that?" Maya's eyes went wide, knowing exactly what her best friend was pointing at, but not knowing how she knew in such detail since she hadn't told her every single detail of what had happened a few days before.

"How do you know?"

"I had to pay Carina twenty bucks to get her to tell me the exact words you said to each other, then don't come telling me I don't care about your love life,"

"Ah, that explains it...you're creepy, you know that?"

"I need the details, okay? I deserve them, I'm the captain of the station after all, if I don't know that kind of information how am I supposed to figure everything out?" The "I'm the captain" card wasn't needed that much, especially in these cases, Maya knew her best friend was only using it because she cared about how she felt after everything she'd been through with the Italian.

"I don't know, I think I need a little more time before I can come to a decision. Maybe another date would be the perfect thing to get my head cleared out," Maya explained, seeing Andy's face go through at least a dozen different emotions as she spoke to her.

"What happened to the super sweet part of you that couldn't wait to be with her?" As weird as it was to say something like that when it came to Maya Bishop, Andy had almost made a habit of listening to her best friend talk about Carina all the time, but mostly everywhere: at work, in the morning with a coffee in front of her, or in the evening with a drink in front of her.

"I want to be with her, believe me, but I need to know how to behave, what to do and what not to do. You know this is the first time I've ever liked someone this much, I don't want to ruin it, especially after what happened," Hearing those words warmed Andy's heart, who if she thought she had seen all of Maya's sweet and sensitive side was wrong, because this time she hadn't just heard her best friend rambling on about the woman she liked, but it was her best friend who shared fears, worries, and she would've done everything to help her overcome them, Maya deserved to have someone who made her happy in life, and she would not let any person, gesture or feeling destroy that.