Part five

((TW, mention of death and suicide))

Luca had been in the shops with Amber for about an hour. He had a long list of supplies to get for Eda, that she had given him before he left, so she could cross shopping off her to-do list.

Luca had Amber in the big part of the cart while he was walking about the shop. He didn't want her to walk around because he thought she'd get tired, if she wasn't already. They had been talking and from what he heard from the girl, Odalia had her working with abominations for the whole day. She didn't even know abomination magic, she studied healing.

As Luca walked down the aisles of the store, he could only think of what the woman had been saying to Amber the whole time she yelled, -They are my real kids... You'll never be my real kid.- The words she said gave Luca many questions about the girl's life, so he decided to ask her about it.

"So... what's up with Odalia saying you're not her real kid, babes?"

Amber looked up at the boy, she had been playing about with Lumi, "Uh, she's not my mom."

Luca nods, "Well yeah... who's your real mom then, babes? Is there like a story or?"

"Oh um, my real mother is Alador's sister. My father was some monster fighter."

Luca nods, "You wanna tell me about it? Or is it personal?"

"Eh, I guess I could, it doesn't matter."

Luca smiles and leans in to listen.

"Well my mother, Melanie got with my father, Charlie in some hook up thing or something, and when Melanie saw she was pregnant, she decided to keep me because Charlie wanted to be a father anyway. So when I was born they were both together, but after a year of having me my father became very ill. I forget what he had... it was some disease which causes witches to lose magic and slowly die. He fought with it for two years, about three weeks before my third birthday he died. My mother was completely shattered, as she obviously adored him. About a week after my third birthday, she had decided that she really couldn't live without him...

"She wrote a suicide note saying that Alador will take me and everything she had. After that... she hung herself inside the house... I still remember seeing the absolutely terrible thing. She had told me to stay in my room, obviously I didn't. She got on a call with Alador and then. You know, I walked down and saw her there and a little after the police came and Alador took me in."

Luca stared at Amber for a moment, he had no idea how to respond, "That's.... I'm sorry."

The girl stares back at him, "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault."

Luca pats the girl's head and rubs her cheek. Then continuing on with what he needed to do. He still didn't know how to react to what he was told.

He shopped for another 30 minutes, talking about nice things with Amber now, until he walked over to the toy area. The boy stops and walks through until he finds where the stuffies were.

"You want one baby?"

Amber looks up at the boy then looks around, "A stuffie?!"

"Yeah," the boy laughs, "Obviously. Does Odalia not let you have them or something?"

"No, she doesn't. She says I'm too old."

Luca laughs, "You're not, just pick one baby."

Amber gets very visibly excited and points at a small otter. Luca grabs it and walks over to the check-out. He begins to scan all the stuff Eda asked for and talks to Amber while he does,

"So you can stay with me and my family for as long as you want, Amber: Okay?"

"Okay, that's nice. Thank you."

Luca smiles, "Of course."

After a while of scanning, he needed to scan the last item, which was Amber's otter. He goes over to take it from the girl, and she looked a bit scared.

"What's wrong?"

"You said I could have it."

Luca giggles, "Yeah, but I need to scan it first."

Amber slowly hands him the otter, before just giving it to him.

"You really think I'd take something from you?"

Amber shrugs, "I'm sorry... I'm just used to-"

Luca covers her mouth, "Don't worry about what you're used to. I'm not like that abusive whore, who raised you."

Amber smiles, and they begin to walk back to where Luca lives. Both holding a ton of bags, walking through the forest, to where Amber would finally be able to relax, and not have to deal with Odalia...