29. Take your training very seriously

You bid little Tokiko farewell and were now making your weary way to the Shinsengumi compound as promised. You slinked by from the back-door on your toes so as to not catch the attention of the man on whom you had been brooding for so long. You still did not know what to expect or what to say if you came face to face with him.

Just one look at those dim red eyes and all your resolve might come crumbling down.

"No, no, I've got to let him know that It was unfair of him to interrogate me like that and it struck me very painfully———but did I go overboard by bringing up our parting?", you knew he had done that for your own safety. He had no option other than such an ironic cruelty, if he had to protect you, he had to leave you.

He was the 'Shiroyasha', an infamous blood-stained figure in the war, known by his face and upheld by his unmatched skills—but you were just some disparaged medic lost in the statistics. You did not represent anyone or any radical ideas. If he wasn't by your side, your life would return to normalcy—it tore through you like a bolt, about how lonely and depraved he might've been then, wallowing with a noose over his head at every hour.

"I did—did go way over what was my due...I'm such an idiot! I don't even—God just take me!", you plunged into a squat in the middle of your walk with your hands digging into your hair, taking the passers-by by surprise and they all steered away from the seemingly crazed woman.

"It's [name]-nee-aru!"

"[name]-san!"

You tilt your head to see both Kagura and Shinpachi plod your way with smiles plastered on their faces.

"Is everything okay [name]-san?", Shinpachi questions you in concern and you briskly stand up into a presentable position, shaking your head slightly.

"Yeah, I'm okay! What are you two doing here?"

"Oh yeah! You don't know the full story-aru! Let me tell you!", Kagura pounds her fist onto her chest with her nose raised haughtily and dives into a rant about all that she had heard about Suzuran the day before and the role of the yorozuya in it.

"That's some—deep stuff. I can only hope the best for Suzuran-san.", the promise between the two beloveds moved your heart beyond words. Separated by circumstances, yet united in the heart—they each knew that they would find their way back to their home. The woman never once gave up in despair.

Hearing about the love-sick courtesan's peril made your own seem like a childish puerile. Did you really have to be in consternation about the ten years you had missed because eventually—you had found your way back to him. You felt your hitherto tumultuous heart cool at your pondering.

"...and we were looking around, seems like the old shogun was her lover.", Shinpachi continued and you froze with a jolt.

'Old shogun? Sada sada?——Sada Sada...loving someone?'

"That guy—there's no way...", your lips quivered as you mumbled these words in a whisper.

"[name]-nee?", Kagura blinked at you and you cut through your daze.

"Oh nothing, it's nothing. Where are you both going now?"

"We were looking for Gin-san, I told him to stay close by.", Shinpachi assumes a haggard tone as he scans the surroundings for his sleazy boss.

"Oh! I just saw him standing somewhere near my clinic. He was talking with Tsukki. You should hurry and go before he makes off of there.", you smile at the younglings. Shinpachi now makes a slight frown.

"Um, [name]-san, is everything alright with you and Gin-san? Are you two fighting?", he pipes anxiously.

"Yeah! You didn't come see us today morning. I had to drink Gin-chan's oversweetened miso soup-aru. Gin-chan is a lazy idiot—but...he really cares for you.", Kagura added and looked at you pleadingly.