34. A tryst in the mountains?!

"I don't have any other intentions...", you squeak out in a faltering tone. To leave him in those wet clothes would mean a sure and impending end and you would choose any other alternative over that avowedly.

It would have been easier if you liked him less.

"Ok, here it goes."

"..."

Gintoki was too exhausted in his sweltering fever to be conscious of what was happening around him or to him. Rough, strained lines ran along his sweaty forehead as he crinkled his eyes in discomfort.

You slide off his scarf hesitantly, tucking at his kimono to pull it down as well all the while a hot blush struck across your face and you squinted your eyes as to not accidentally peek on such a vulnerable sight.

After getting his shirt off of him in the most awkwardly noisy way possible, you diverted your eyes to anywhere but his burly bare chest.

"Why am I getting so embarrassed now...I used to dress his wounds all the time—but I was too nervous back then too.", you remember how often he would get injured and how much of a useless façade he would sometimes put up to disparage his own pain and agony.

Your eyes fall discreetly on a sharp scar along his stomach and you sigh in melancholy. You could never forget the way you patched it up.

"Gintoki...", you nimbly graze it with your fingers before you decided that no more time can be squandered.

"This feels so wrong...", your hands tremble around when you have to loosen his belt to get off his pants as well. You gather all of your heart to take the plunge and proceed to do the deed all the while freaking out internally.

You don't have the mental preparedness to remove his boxers.

After using your own dry scarf to wipe his drenched skin, you abruptly covered him with the thick blanket.

"I forgot how well-built he was—darn!"

You clench your chest tightly, fluttering at the overwhelming gravity of the task you had just accomplished. His surreptitious frame was stamped in such close proximity to you.

You were a doctor. Seeing a person in their birthday suit was nothing out of the ordinary to you, may it be even a specimen of the opposite gender.

But this was someone you loved. Someone you longed for, for 15 full years without any wavering.

You stick your hand up onto his forehead, his eyes shut, squirming painfully and in anguish. You had not allayed his fever to the point that he was comfortable once again. It was just too remorselessly cold and piercing. Even you had started to feel the effects.

Another idea had graced you but—were you prepared for it?

"If that's how it is then..."

_____________________________

" 'Remove your clothes. When cold, people should take off their clothes and huddle together. Applying your body-heat raises the warmth and the heart-rate of the other.' is what this guide says.", Ayaha fists a book into the air, your book to be exact.

The brothers all united under one catastrophe were seated in a circle surrounding a frugal fire, in the folds of a cave. The strong chill however, had begun to crawl into their calm.

"...What even is that book?", Hijikata asks boredly.

"It's called "Quack remedies for dumb doctors"."

"..."

"Wow, that's amazing, isn't it Hijikata-san. Now both you and Ayaha can cuddle up and warm each other—a secret tryst in the mountains.", Okita gave a cold, sly smile, he had already scared the child into sleeping so it wouldn't bother him.