27. You should not call monks smelly!

Gintoki had been just returning from the red light district. His mind was filled to the brim with the noble bastard who had courted Suzuran and left her in her deluded hopes all by herself. Very secretly, he had been plotting to help the senile woman regain her sense of peace and affection.

He had expected more action indeed, which the woman was ready to engage in (unfortunately). But had it been otherwise, would he still have enjoyed it? With you on his mind? Could he really have pushed your powers away with meaningless physical pleasure alone? He had done that in the past but now he was more than unsure.

"You really need to get a grip. So uncool of you—where'd the playboy part go?", he muttered to himself as he lugged around the streets, ruffling his white awry strands.

He was wholly convinced that you were trying to ask him something, that is, before the blonde had interrupted the both of you.

"She should be at the Shinsengumi now—"

"Wai-hold on a second! I mean yes—hold tight."

"Toshiro, don't freak out so much—I'll be okay."

Your arms around his neck and your face so close to him—Gintoki's heart ached in that minute moment. He was just coming up the street, from a blindspot where the two lovers wouldn't be able to see him.

He thought he saw his worst fears come into being. You would never be his. On instinct, he turned round to tread the path he had just walked on. He felt like he did not have the right to interrupt this embrace.

"Gintoki? Is that you!", you chirped at him, you had seen his tuft of silvery hair roaming about in the distance. He turned around abruptly.

"Uh, yeah. Geez, leave a man alone.", Gintoki rolled his eyes lazily, putting his palm on his hair to tousle it. His eyes looked dull and uninterested, never shining with the piercing pain in his chest because so many years ago, war had inured him to such weaknesses.

"You're back so quickly. Toshiro was just helping me out, you know, my leg? It's so annoying sometimes.", you whipped out your walking stick and balanced it under your hand, glancing at the cop beside to assure him that you were fine.

'Oh.'

"No matter how much I tell you, you just like to walk around with that.", Gintoki walked closer, with concern seeping in between his bitter jealousy.

"And what are you doing with this spoil-sport?", he hovered his red gaze over the angry police officer, picking his ear.

"Toshiro and me were out together for a while, I was getting bored!", you reeled through your own pain, not knowing what the guy you treasured for so long had been saying with such a similar gentle voice to others.

"What, did he take you to a mayonnaise factory or something?"

"SHUT UP BASTARD. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?!"

"Come on, no fighting after watching pedoro!", you thwarted a war between the heated men.

Gintoki had the fresh pain of knowing that he could not watch it with you anymore.

Hijikata had been hot due to his own reasons, speculating if he was actually hurting you by purpose and that drove him seething to no end. He continued.

"Where were you anyways? I thought you were going to be with her but I found her lolling in the streets by herself, do you know how-"

"You were—what? YOU WERE ALL ALONE!?", Gintoki slightly raises his voice in a bewildered manner. He did not know after all.