01

ARIA

"Aria, sweetheart. Are you sure you're going to be okay?" my co-worker asked, a frown on her face.

I stopped myself from showing any signs of annoyance. Gertrude was a sweet old lady, worried about my safety but every single night I was bombarded with her many concerned questions.

"Yes, I'll be okay," I replied, throwing my backpack over my shoulder and reassuring her with a soft smile.

The greying lady deepened her frown. "You're a young beautiful woman, you shouldn't be walking alone late at night. Men are naughty," she emphasised, making her point by throwing her cloth down on the counter quite dramatically. My smile broadened, warmed by her motherly actions.

"I hate to say this but I'm used to it by now. I'll see you tomorrow." I placed my hand on hers for a quick second, easing her worries by giving it a gentle squeeze. "Goodnight."

She sighed, slumping her shoulders. "Goodnight."

Turning my back to her, I heard her mumbling in German and something along the lines of 'Stubborn child'

Stepping out of the warm diner and into the crispy cold air, a shiver trailed down my spine. It was freezing out and I mentally scolded myself for not carrying a warm jumper with me.

My uniform consisted of the usual mustard yellow work dress and a pair of white sneakers. It did little to shield me from the blistering cold and I frowned at my carelessness. Deciding to hurry up my pace, I side stepped a puddle on the pavement and began my journey home.

Fortunately and unfortunately, it was a Friday night.

Thus resulting in the streets occupied by a dozens of people waiting to enter the illuminated club opposite the diner. I felt a lot safer when the streets were busy but there was nothing worse than accidentally stumbling into a drunk person. Usually they were fuelled by their alcohol courage and loved picking fights for no reason.

I walked in the direction of my apartment, dodging left and right to avoid shoulder bumping into anyone.

Finally managing to escape the crowd, I breathed out a sigh of relief. I slowed down when the soles of my feet began to ache, a reminder that I had spent the entire day on them.

It was in that moment when the wind began to pick up, whistling between the tall buildings and rattling the shatters. Unnecessarily creepy.

"Daniel, do you understand?" A voice spoke calmly through the contrary wind. A voice with an accent not too difficult to decipher. Italian. My pace decreased, consumed by curiosity and pure nosiness.

It was coming from within an alleyway, abandoned and dark.

Surely that was how every slasher film starts.

I passed by that alley far too many times, even becoming familiar with the homeless man residing beneath a sheet attached to a dumpster.

"Hey, hey, eyes on me. Where is it?" the same voice spoke, still holding that eerie calmness. However, despite how good it sounded, it also had warning lights flashing in my head. Deciding that it would be best for me to head on home, I started walking again.

A man sobbed, "Marco was supposed to deliver it. I don't know where it is. I swear."

Nah, fuck that.

I kept my eyes downwards, avoiding looking up as I quickly passed the alley. Whatever the fuck was happening, I wanted no part in it. But of course with my terrible luck and Murphy's Law, a loud gunshot went off.