five || of thoughts and writing

Start from the beginning

Looking up, I see Bryce beaming at me. "Exactly, Reinhart. Exactly. Now write that down. Screw proper format, screw punctuation, spelling or grammar. Just write, and we'll take care of the rest later."

So I do. I go home that night, and I spill everything onto that page. It comes out in a jumbled mess of thoughts, emotions and beliefs. Most lines don't make sense, some are out of place and just seem awkward, while some aren't even readable but I still beam while reading it.

I'm just about to head upstairs when there's a sudden knock on the door. Frowning, I make my way to the front door, noting the way footsteps from upstairs begin to sound through the home as everyone goes to see who's knocking.

I open the door to see a middle aged man, with blonde hair and blue eyes. Normally I wouldn't focus so much in on the features, but something about him just looks familiar.

"Can I help you?" I ask, trying not to notice the eerie vibe this is setting off.

"Is Caiden here?"

I'm scrambling my mind for an answer, but before I can come up with anything, a voice sounds behind me. "Dad?"

I spin around quickly to see Caiden at the top of the stairs, face pale and eye wide. Ryan is standing next to him, and they're obviously trying their best not to link hands in front of Mr. Harrison.

Mr. Harrison sighs heavily. It's not in exasperation, it just sounds tired. "Caiden."

Caiden makes his way down the stairs slowly, and my mother is quick to appear behind him, squeezing his shoulder. "What're you doing here?" Caiden asks quietly.

"I need to talk to you, Caiden."

Caiden chews on the inside of his cheek. "What about? Can I... Can I come home? Are you still mad? Please don't be mad."

I catch Ryan's eyes, and his burn with an angry passion, like all he really wants to do is go a snap the necks of whoever is causing his boyfriend distress. Which, right now, happens to be Mr. Harrison.

Mr. Harrison sighs again and motions for Caiden to come closer. "Caiden, you're my son. I just want to help you."

"Help?"

"We can go to therapy," his dad nods, continuing. "Someone can help you see the sin of your ways. You'll be normal again. You can come home, and we'll support you every step of the way. I know you don't want this, Caiden, I know you don't truly feel this way. We can get you fixed."

My whole family is stunned into silence. My mom wants to explode at Mr. Harrison, I can see it in her face, but my dad is down the stairs within seconds, placing a hand on her shoulder to keep her from combusting. I know why; this is something Caiden has to do on his own.

Except Caiden has always been quite the passive person. I can never imagine him standing up to someone, much less his father. Caiden looks close to tears. "...Fix me? I- I'm not-"

"I'm sorry for yelling at you," Mr. Harrison tells his son. "I've always been so proud of you, Caiden. I'm so sorry that you've been influenced to sin like this." It's subtle, but I still manage to catch the glare Mr. Harrison sends to Ryan. My hands curl into fists.

Caiden catches it, too. "Dad, this- this isn't Ryan's fault. It's not anyone's."

Mr. Harrison scoffs. "What? You were born like this? Don't give me that, Caiden. You were born pure. Now come on, get your stuff and let me take you home. Your mom will make you your favourite soup, and we'll get you started on therapy right away, okay? It'll be alright."

"B-But therapy won't change anything," Caiden insists, and although this is the most persistent I've ever seen him, it still isn't enough. "Dad, I don't want to go. I don't want to change."

"Don't be ridiculous," Mr. Harrison scoffs. "Of course you do. You're a smart boy, Caiden, don't go spitting foolish comments around."

"Please don't do this," Caiden whispers.

"I have to, son."

My dad is just about to speak up, noticing that Caiden looks completely defeated, when Caiden surprises us all by speaking up. "I won't do it."

Mr. Harrison narrows his eyes. "Won't do what?"

"Go to therapy," Caiden clarifies. "Y-You can't make me. It'll be a waste of money, dad, you have to understand-"

"Either you go to therapy, or you don't come home."

Caiden falls silent, and I can see his eyes glistening. His eyes look to the floor as he swallows harshly. He repeats quietly, "I won't do it."

Mr. Harrison opens his mouth but my dad cuts him off, "Caiden, Ryan and Ellie, why don't you guys go upstairs? We'll take care of this."

I take Caiden by the arm, noticing that he's shaking and gently pull him up the stairs, where Ryan wastes no time gathering him in a hug and helping him into the living room. Sounds of argument rise and fall in volume from the front door.

"Breathe, Caiden," Ryan is whispering over and over while he sits Caiden down. "How about I make you some tea? The lemon one, the one you love. God, Caiden, don't start crying, please."

But it's too late. Silent tears are making their way down Caiden's cheeks, and Ryan does his best to brush them off but they keep coming. Shaking his head, Ryan gets up from the couch, seething.

"Where are you going?" I ask as he begins to walk away.

"To give that bastard a piece of my mind," Ryan snarls. "He's lucky I stayed quiet back there."

"No, Ryan," Caiden finally speaks up. "Don't. Please."

Mr. Harrison slams the door on his way out. I can see Caiden's face fall, as if at the back of his mind, he was holding onto the small shred of hope his father would let him come home and love him no matter what.

My mother and father go to take care of Caiden and Ryan, but I go back to the dinner table where I was writing my speech before. Maybe I shouldn't be writing when I'm so raw with emotion and filled to the brim with an anger, but I have to get it out somehow.

So I just write.

Whoo! so i legit typed this up in around half an hour, so i'm sorry if there's a bunch of typos D: anyway, please COMMENT AND VOTE because i'd love to know your thoughts on this chapter! i love you all so so much! (: xoxo