six || of families and bluntness

When I hand Bryce the speech I had written up the next day, he promises to read it over and meet up with me at lunch. I'm grateful that he's not being too much of a prick today, because after what happened last night, I'm on edge with everyone. By the end of the first period, I've already snapped at Sadie three times before she had just rolled her eyes and began a conversation with someone else. I sulk against my seat, staring blankly at the worksheet in front of me. I don't feel like doing my work.

No matter what I do, I just keep going back to last nights. My hands curl into fists and my nails press into the inside of my palm in a painful manner just at the thought. Caiden hadn't slept all night, Ryan had told us this morning, so he's staying home for the day to catch up on rest. It was obviously difficult for Ryan to leave Caiden, but my mother had just promised she would take care of him.

On one hand, I'm somewhat glad Mr. Harrison had calmed down enough to come see Caiden, but it was all for the wrong reasons. I shudder at the thought of Caiden being put through something like therapy to change who he is. For just a second I had thought Caiden would really give in and do it just to gain back his home and family, but was almost swept off my feet when he had outright told his dad no. It just wasn't Caiden: he was soft spoken, passive, and never looking for a fight.

Late last night, from across the hall, I heard Caiden and Ryan talking. Caiden had shed a few more tears but after Ryan had told him he shouldn't give his dad the satisfaction of being the reason of his tears, Caiden had just nodded and wiped them away. "I'm turning eighteen on in several months," Caiden was telling Ryan. I had rolled over in bed, pressing my ear to the wall so I could hear them better. "I can get an apartment by the school, I have enough saved up from working."

"Are you sure you have enough?"

"I worked full time in the summer, so I have a lot saved up," Caiden had replied.

Ryan's voice was softer when he said, "Caiden, you don't have to go run off and live on your own yet, okay? School is going to be over soon, and then we're both going off to University. You already got a full scholarship so money won't be an issue, and having a place to stay won't be either since we'll be sharing a dorm. Just stay with us for now."

"I appreciate it, Ry, but I've already been here for so long, I really don't want to invade-"

"Trust me when I say you're not. You do trust me, right?" There's a silence, but I assumed Caiden nodded when Ryan continued with, "So you'll listen when I say you can stay as long as you need. I love you."

Caiden sighed. "I love you too."

Caiden had gone back to his room after that, and as his soft footsteps passed my room, I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. I don't know why, but for some reason I feel like Ryan should let Caiden get that apartment. Not for the fact that it'll mean he's out of the house- of course not, I love having Caiden at our home- but more so because Caiden not only seriously needs a fresh start, but he seriously deserves one.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when my phone rings with two texts. I furrow my eyebrows, first opening the one from Ryan.

Ryan: Can you pick up Fiona today? I have to make up for a test today after school so I won't be able to make it, and dad can't pick us up, he's stuck at a meeting.

I sigh, not feeling like walking all the way over to Fiona's elementary school, but send him a text to tell him I'll do it. I don't need to stress Ryan out anymore than I know he already is. I open the second text.

Bryce: Done reading over the speech.

Ellie: And?

Bryce: Well, it was better than 'I'm going to be talking about The Ribbon Campaign', but we're still need to gonna do a shitload of editing.