CHAPTER 41

IRIS

The church bells rang in the background as I stood in front of a tall wooden doorway. My wedding was over. Albert and I had just come out the door as the celebrating crowd greeted us. I was beaming almost the whole time, but sometimes my face turned solemn.

Until now, I still could not believe that this place where I stood right now became the sole witness to the war that had taken place in an unknown future. And these people I see were at this church. They almost looked like they were all dead—a nearly human sacrifice.

Albert squeezed my left hand, and then I returned to my senses. I glanced at him and gave my sweetest smile. I turned to Jessie and Myrtle, my two nephews, admiring how cute they were while throwing rose petals along the aisle moments ago.

Kuya Max and Anjo cast confetti in the air when Albert and I came out of the doorway. Tatay interrupted us because he freed two white doves from his hands.

"Long live the newlyweds!" Florencio shouted out. Miranda followed him, then May. Then the whole crowd in the end

Nanay curled her arms around me. And when I stared into her face, her mascara smeared her cheeks from crying. She hugged Albert next. "Take care of my daughter, and that was a warning." Albert nodded and grinned from ear to ear.

I shook my head. Nanay, how could you? You are so mean to the love of my life.

"Iris! Congratulations," Ma'am Batongbakal cut in. She cuddled me tight. And while I curled my arms around her, my eyes caught someone from afar.

A strange man was standing near the church's entrance yard. He was wearing a black hooded sweater. Even though I couldn't see his face, I still sensed that he was staring back at me. Ma'am Batongbakal let go of her arms as my three friends approached.

My smile wore off because a sudden chill ran down my spine. My heart began to race because, if I'm not mistaken, the strange man was the individual I met in my uncertain future. The man who cursed my wedding. This man was Crey, pretending to be human, and I'm sure about it. I thought he was already dead. My knees started to wobble, and I was on the verge of collapsing. Even the laughter of the celebrating crowd around me became inaudible. Albert's left hand was on my shoulder, but I couldn't feel it. My whole attention is on the man from afar right now.

The strange man unfolded the hood of his sweater, which made me step backward. If only I could run away from the crowd, but I didn't know how to. My forehead creased, and my heart raced from the fear of the unknown. When the hood was gone, I felt stunned.

The guy's hair was pink, and he waved his left hand toward me. My emotions shifted so fast from fear that I burst out crying in surprise. If only I could rush and embrace Hector, but I was inside Albert's arms.

"Are you crying? Seriously, after our wedding?" Albert said.

I beamed at him, yet my face was gleaming from my tears. I didn't want to think about what my makeup would look like now. I put my arms around Albert while staring at Hector from afar.

He turned around and walked away. I noticed his car outside the church's yard. What's more surprising is that Marinagua and Chamie were peeking out the car window. I chuckled when I remembered that Marinagua couldn't walk on land. The two girls waved their hands too. Hector went back into the car, and then they left. My eyes followed the direction of the moving vehicle as it faded away from my sight.

I couldn't explain the happiness I felt at this moment. If only I could invite my alien friends here. It was against their rules. I had already promised to keep everything about them secret. This secret will continue forever, although I plan to open it up to Albert someday. But I need the right moment. There will be a time for that.